Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

How do you clean a dogs ears ? Becaus... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » EAR CARE » How do you clean a dogs ears ? Because they smell. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nikki H.
Posted on Friday, March 3, 2000 - 8:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do you clean a dogs ears? We have a little rat dog and her ears smell really bad. Some people say you clean them with a q-tip.
Any suggestions?

Sandy
Posted on Friday, March 3, 2000 - 9:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, is there any hair in the ears? This will impede air flow and can cause odor. If it is a rat terrier type dog, though, he probably doesn't have hair in there. Moisten a cotton ball with alcohol and wipe out the whole inside of the ear. I use a veterinary ear cleaner, but alcohol is o.k. I use long cotton swabs to then go a little deeper, but no deeper than I can actually see in there. If there's lots and lots of gunk, any reddness, swelling, or drainage, he needs to see a vet, because that points to an infection. The inside of the ear needs to be dry to be healthy.

Paws214 (port177.hazleton.net - 216.37.136.239)
Posted on Tuesday, March 7, 2000 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
My dog is a lab, and has no hair in the ears, and hers also started to smell. At first I thought she just needed a bath, I didn't know where this smell was coming from. I finally took her to the vet. It turns out that she had an infection and needed medicine.. And it also turns out that she has seasonal allergies..Never fails she gets ear infections during the change of seasons..every year!
Maybe your dog is allergic to something...?? I don't know, just a thought... Thanks.

sgtpepper (spider-tq032.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.201.57)
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2000 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Odor is a bad sign. Best to have it checked by a vet.

doggygirl (d116-sj101h2-stjh-pdi.attcanada.net - 142.194.205.116)
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 5:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always make sure that I do not get any water in the ear. I usually take some ear cleaner put it on a cotton ball and wipe the ear. I have a groomer friend who just pours the solution down the ear and I don't much like the thought of that. Just think how it feels when you have water in your ear. Hate that!!!

Thistle (sdn-ar-003casfrmp077.dialsprint.net - 158.252.210.79)
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 7:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was taught by a veterinarian to fill the ear canal with an ear cleaning solution and gently massage the ear canal using upward motions then allow the dog to shake the solution out and gently swab the ear only as far as you can see with a cotton ball.

I agree with the above posts, if there is a foul odor and redness, then a trip to the vet is recommended.

Rev (spider-mtc-te014.proxy.aol.com - 64.12.103.154)
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm with you, Thistle.. that's the most common advice I've heard/seen, and it's what I do.

Seems like the vet would be the one to answer this one though.

gr8k9s (64.39.140.152)
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 9:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is an ear cleaner called Zap. I got some in a sample pack of shampoos and conditioners. So far, I like it much better than the stuff our vet uses which I was using, too. It cuts the gunk and has a nice smell (well, actually smells like mouthwash, but it beats the alternative gunky ear smell). Anyhoo, I was assuming it was the Zap ear cleaner she was talking about... I didn't even realize there was a hand cleaner called Zap. Now I'm curious which Zap she meant.

Rev (64.12.96.232)
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used Zap, pretty good stuff. (canine version anyway!)

dragonbrn
Registered Member
Username: dragonbrn

Post Number: 723
Posted From: 205.188.209.135
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 8:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The info above is good. If there is inflammation, or a discharge, or both, go to the vet. Black, thick and grainy is likely ear mites. In either of these events, you need medical help. If the ears are have a waxy residue, and just smell a little icky, a good commercial pet ear cleaner, like R7 by Gimborn, or even plain yellow Listerine, is a good solution. There is a product on the market called Swimmers Ear Astringent, which is a gel-type product which is applied like any ear cleaner, a few drops in the ear canal, massage and swab out. The problem with hydrogen peroxide is that it doesn't evaporate, and it bubbles, which can make some dogs a little nuts. Cleaners designed for ears have an alcohol component, which dries the interior of the ear without burning it, and acts as a disinfectant/cleaning agent.

Dalton (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 68.9.252.7
Posted on Saturday, November 6, 2004 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thistle, you are the only one who knew exactly what they were saying, not to offend anyone else. I was a vet tech for four years and have been a professional groomer for about three and a half. The suggested way to clean ears is the fill the ear canal with a CLEANING SOLUTION, buy one from your vet. Not alcohol or Listerine !!!! Hold the ear canal, located under the ear, almost behind jaw bone, gently massage in a circular motion, and let dog shake. An at home remedy for the inside of ear, BUT NOT EAR CANAL, is diluted Dawn, it's gentle, not alcohol based, and it breaks up wax easily. As the others say, redness or odor = vet.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 1917
Posted From: 142.154.31.40
Posted on Sunday, November 7, 2004 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would do that on my own dogs, but not really comfortable doing it on clients dogs. If the dogs ears look fine and and have no smell or discharge, then I leave well enough alone and just wipe what I can see. Each to their own.

loveofdogs2
Registered Member
Username: loveofdogs2

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 75.23.98.177
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am doing the online pet grooming online with pennfoster. I have a chinese shar pei that I have a real hard time with his ears bothering him. Any recommendations?

enemytosleep
Registered Member
Username: enemytosleep

Post Number: 345
Posted From: 69.119.242.110
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has he been checked out by a vet for infections, mites. etc.? If he has been cleared but given the "funky ear" diagnosis, my cat found relief from Easy Ear by Nature's Farmacy (not a typo).

My boss at my old job had a shar pei and the poor thing had terrible ear and eyes troubles...I hope your boy feels better.

vivilee
Registered Member
Username: vivilee

Post Number: 490
Posted From: 69.158.156.35
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your course does not tell you how to deal with bad ears then I'd seriously consider getting your money back.

It is not your job to do something about infected ears. In fact, you should send that dog to a vet. Don't clean them as that could worsen the condition.

Once the vet OK's the cleaning of the ears you can proceed to use a good ear cleaner to clean up the waxy debris.

pampurdpups
Registered Member
Username: pampurdpups

Post Number: 172
Posted From: 75.32.95.247
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what does it mean when the ear smells, is bumpy, and crusty? Mites? Have had a few like this...over and over again...

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 507
Posted From: 156.34.182.102
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could be pampurdpups. Many times they scratch their ears like crazy if the ear isn't being treated properly.

I don't want to sound mean but I never understood an on-line course for a job that is so hands on?

loveofdogs2
Registered Member
Username: loveofdogs2

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 75.23.98.177
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have taken my shar pei to the vet for his ears. They gave me a ear cleaning solution and drops for his ears. I do that once a week like reccomended. It will only help for a day or two. The vet says he gets yeast in his ears and on his skin. I will try the Easy Ear by Natures Farmacy though. Thank you very much.

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 527
Posted From: 156.34.177.212
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try switching diets. What are you feeding him now?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.