Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Tools For At Home Yorkie Grooming Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » HOME GROOMING AND TOOLS » Tools For At Home Yorkie Grooming « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

yorkielady
Registered Member
Username: yorkielady

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 152.163.253.98
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 1:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After 15+ years of grooming my dogs, my groomer, my friend has retired. For various reasons I have decided to groom my 2 yorkies. I saw, on the BBS, that the Andis 2 speed clippers are recommended the most, but there is the AG, Super AG, AGC and the Super AGC. Which one should I buy, taking into consideration that I will only use it to groom my yorkies? Are the Super versions an overkill for me? Should it be the AG or the AGC model or what other model?

In addition which blades should I buy Oster or Andis and what sizes? Before Coralys (my 8 year old girl), Oscar (my 9 year old boy) always had a very long coat, "show style". Since they play a lot they were constantly getting tangled so Babs starting doing a modified schnauzer look with the upper body close and a skirt, but with the puppy face. She told me she used a 7F for the back and to blend; a 10 for the ears, underbelly and under tail; a 4F for body sides & legs to blend and/or shorten; and a 5/8 for the pads. In the Grooming Yorkies forum, I have seen that some groomers also use almost every size there is. Since I can't buy all the blades, what would be the 3 or 4 blades I must have for the modified schnauzer look with the puppy face? Am I understanding correctly, the higher the number the shorter the cut?

Oscar, has dry eyes which I treat with Optimune every day. So I try to keep his hair from going into his eyes by leaving his top head hair long and doing a top knot, but I usually have to comb it every day. Also I cut the hair around the inner part of the eyes with rounded tip scissors. Would it be best to cut his top head hair short and to use one of the "mini" clippers for this? If so, which one?

What other tools should I buy? I already have a Slicker brush (plan to get a Triangle one), Metal Comb, scissors (good ones) and a nail trimmer.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 1753
Posted From: 66.142.47.84
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 5:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can probably get away with just the 7F and the 10. If you use a light touch, you can use that 7F on the body and the sides to blend into the longer let coat. The ten can be used for the pads of the feet a well as the tummies, ears and below the eyes.

A pair of thinning shears can also help with the blending where the short body meets the legs and skirt.

I would get your equipment, and see if your groomer would be willing to see you a couple times to critique your work. I'm not sure what the going rate is for teaching owners how to do their own dogs. I would at least offer the price of the grooms for her time.

Barb

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 6981
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 3:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might think about the adustable clipper. Help me out here, folks, I don't have the right catalog handy, is that a Wahl? I think it's plenty sturdy for two yorkies for many years to come, and with the adjustable feature and the combs provided with it, would give you a lot of options without extra cost.

vroomvroom
Registered Member
Username: vroomvroom

Post Number: 511
Posted From: 24.99.73.148
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

arco moser has an adjustable blade 9 to 40 and then combs. lightweight, and only $120 has two batteries and will do a yorkie each easily on each battery.

rev

Post Number: 6986
Posted From: 205.188.209.167
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's the puppy I'm talking about, thanks, Vroomvroom! There are cheaper models; the Andis Trendsetter Select Pro at about 90 might be ok, but I liked the look of the arco moser, and what I've heard about it. There's only one blade but it should last years with proper care, with such light use, and it is replaceable.

yorkielady
Registered Member

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 205.188.209.167
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to all of you. Now I have some more questions.

To: Barb,

> A pair of thinning shears can also help with
> the blending where the short body meets the
> legs and skirt.

I just checked PetEdge and there are a lot of different ones, under 6 5/8 inch and 6 5/8 to 7 1/2 and something about 30, 36, etc. Tooth. Which one do you recommend?

To: Rev and Vroomvroom

> arco moser has an adjustable blade 9 to 40 and > then combs. lightweight, and only $120 has two > batteries and will do a yorkie each easily on
> each battery.

Did a search in PetEdge.com for the Arco Moser and couldn't find it. Where can I purchase it? What do you mean by adjustable blade? I understand that it is only one blade so what makes it adjustable?

Again thanks.

Ivette

rev

Post Number: 7015
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 2:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently PetEdge has stopped carrying Laube/Wahl/Arco/Moser products; our other major catalog sponsor, Dogs' Outfitters, does carry it. Ryan's, Cherrybrook and others may also.

Re adjustable blades: A clipper blade is in two parts. One is the comb, that "funnels" the hair to the blade; the other is the actual clipping edge. The thickness of the comb, and its extra length, distance the cutting edge from the skin. The adjustable blades are controlled with a lever to increase or decrease that distance, within a limited range. Additionally, this clipper has some attachable combs that offer longer clips.

vroomvroom
Registered Member
Username: vroomvroom

Post Number: 518
Posted From: 24.99.73.148
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought my arco at pet edge so I am not sure why it is not showing up. Maybe you need to look under Wahl Arco Moser. Some company consolidation thing.

The blade is recessed and the adjustments move it in and out of a sheath. Regular blades differ in the length and the number of teeth. The moser only differs in the length which actually seems to make it cut better. It is not suitable for heavy coated dogs but will do fine for yorkies. You use the 30 to shave the pads, the 10 to do the sanitary, the ear tips and if necessary between the eyes. The 30 adjustment with one of the combs will provide a nice fluffy cut. There are 4 comb lengths so you will easily find one you like.

As for the thinners, the number refers to the length of the scissors. As in 6 1/2 inches, 7 inches etc. The number of teeth will determine the fineness of the cut. I always use a 64 tooth. Anything less gives a rough cut which might be suitable for a Bouvier but probably not for a yorkie. You really should try to buy your scissors somewhere that you have an opportunity to fit them to your hand. The length feels different to different size hands. I bought 7 1/2 curves and couldn't use them because they were just too small for my hands. I hate the 10 in scissors because the pivot point makes for a funny wrist twist for me. Lots of people work very very well with either of those types of scissors. So basically I wasted money buying those scissors. I have 9 pairs of scissors, 5 of which I bought from a catelogue and 4 I bought after trying them in person. I never use the 5.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 1767
Posted From: 66.142.47.84
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are only going to use them on your dogs and only to blend the clippered lines, I don't think it makes much difference which ones you get.

The higher tooth number will probably give you a little smoother finish. For what you're doing, I would go with something mid price range. There really isn't a need for a super expensive pair. They will also be nice to use on the visor or bangs to give a more natural look. They're also a little more forgiving. If you accidentally cut a little too short, it's not near as noticeable and much easier to blend and 'fix'.

Barb

yorkielady
Registered Member

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.211.242.52
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the detail, it was great.

You won't be hearing from me again until after January 12th because on Wednesday, December 24, I'll be leaving to Seattle, WA to spend the holidays with my nieces and nephews. Lately the Miami weather has been cold, but of course nothing compared to Seattle, so I hope it won't be such a shock.

Again thanks.

Wishing all of you a Merry Christmas and a great New Year. And may we always be the kind of person our dog thinks we are.

Ivette

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.