Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

How to keep my Maltese's coat mat fre... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » MATTS & TANGLES » How to keep my Maltese's coat mat free? Please help! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Snowy (203.127.170.121 - 203.127.170.121)
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 3:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a long coat Maltese and I need help to keep my Maltese from getting mats on his coat during my 10 days vacation. My family members will take care of my Maltese during my absence, however they have no experience and time to give him a proper daily grooming while I am away.

Hence, I am writing to seek help from all of you on whether you do have any magic methods that I can use on my Maltese to make sure that I would have a mat free Maltese when I am back from my vacations.

Thank you for your help.

Joyce (max-cust-243-42.kcinter.net - 209.186.243.42)
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Snowy,
No magic for a Maltese here I'm afraid. If you can't dematt him by rubbing cornstarch into his coat when you get back,you probably should prepare yourself for a nekkid pup for a while :(

grmrsan (adsl-63-197-122-113.dsl.sktn01.pacbell.net - 63.197.122.113)
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 9:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can always make them promise to get your dog professionally done once or twice, if they can't take care of it themselves. That will at least keep the coat from becoming unbearable while your gone.

k9hairfairy (ppp2-capac.klondyke.net - 208.245.179.161)
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If only there were such magic! The only thing you can do to save the coat is to put it in oil and wrap it, like they do on show dogs, or make a couple of appts. for a brush out at a groomer near their home and tell them when to be there. If there were a method that would guarantee to keep a full coated dog mat free for 10 days with no grooming, well we would all like to know about it! At least I would. I have two Shih Tzu in full coat. There is no substitution for brushing.

Nubbin68 (spider-wl054.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.199.44)
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 9:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Snowy- nope, no magic wand in my bag of tricks. The only thing I can suggest is to spray him down real good with a coat conditioner like pro-groom or something- something that leaves him kinda slick feeling. He may feel like an oil slick, but it MAY keep the mats at bay (though the dirt will probably stick to him. Hey it's better than mats!). Keep your relatives from letting him outside to run around a lot in the yard 'cause rolling around outdoors and whatnot will possibly cause him to get mats, and leaves and grass and so on in his coat. You're only going to be gone 10 days, right? Can't your relatives take the time to brush him every day for 5 minutes? I mean, are they THAT busy? Couldn't you show them how to properly brush your dog before you leave? Good luck! :)

Amy (spider-wb041.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.192.166)
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 9:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a thought,
I use a lot of conditioner in my hair and top it with spray leave in conditioners because I have natural nappy (curly) hair and if I dont, it is everywhere and knotted up. The conditioner weights it down so it doesnt stand up like an afro. I dont know how it would affect your dogs skin but, there are some after bath conditioners out there for pets, if you saturate him/her in it. It would be kind of oily and it is a lot easier to comb out oily mattes than dry fluffy clean ones and tell them not to bath her, have The groomer reaply if she/he gets too smelly and needs a good desmelling.

Dragonbrn (spider-wl012.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.199.22)
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only words of wisdom I have to offer are: DON'T LET THEM BATHE THE DOG! :) If it gets dirty, it is still easier to groom out a dirty loose mat than a clean tight (shrunken) one. Unless your dog has an incredibly cottony coat, it should survive without a total disaster for 10 days, as long as you have it thoroughly brushed out when you hand it over to your relatives. If you can manage to wrap the topknot, beard, and a few chunks of the sides, you'll probably be better ahead. What's a wrap and how do you do it? Small pieces of tissue (the stuff beauticians use for applying perm solution works well...good size and designed for hair). Section small areas of the coat, pull the section straight out from the body, wrap the tissue around the ends, and roll or fold up the whole thing almost till it reaches the body. Wrap another piece of the tissue around the outside of the hair roll. Secure with a small rubber band. Looks ridiculous, and may be a bit uncomfortable if you do it too tightly, but this is a common method for preserving show coat. Good luck.

Fleadip (1cust142.tnt3.baytown.tx.da.uu.net - 63.25.63.142)
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Snowy, when you get back, take her to the groomer and be sure to tell her...'I just left her with my sister for a few days and she got matted to the skin' LOL. The groomer will have a good laugh.

snowy (203.127.170.121 - 203.127.170.121)
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 4:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for sharing with me! Really appreciate it. Any more tips anyone?

Regards
Snowy

bluebonbon (pool0773.cvx5-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net - 209.178.155.8)
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The day before you are leaving brush out, wash and condition with either products called quicker slicker or the stuff. Both of these products help keep mats from forming. I have several soft coated dogs who get treated with quicker slicker after each bath and it really cuts down the matting problems. Of course, the owners must brush between groomings but they all tell me how much easier it is to brush out the dog's fur. Then give orders for your petsitter not to get the dog wet or bath it, period. If possible, you could set up an appointment with groomer for a brush out only while you are gone.

Posted on Sunday, October 8, 2000 - 9:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi bluebonbon,

What is a quicker slicker? I only have a slicker brush.

Thanks.

Snowy

Groomer (usrkc-ppp-180.kc-primary.net - 209.176.130.180)
Posted on Sunday, October 8, 2000 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a true story to tell here, I am sure this is probably just my own experience, but I had a monthly customer on my mobile route a few years back, with a Maltese who she was absolutely determined to keep long.

She would really work at keeping him combed out between visits, but it seemed like one trip out in the wind or rain, and she ended up shot down everytime.

I was also really trying to work with her and would manage by hook or crook to dematt the little guy at every visit. I purchased all the miracle stuff I could get my hands on, Quicker Slicker, The Stuff, Natures Specialties Remo, Best Shot, Infusium, and several others that I can't recall off hand, and even tried using Downy, as a rinse at one time.

Then one day she called me out of the blue, and said she was absolutely amazed that the dogs coat was so easy to comb out, and that it wasn't matting as usual, and wanted to know what I had used the last time I'd seen him.

After much deliberation, it dawned on me that, that day, I had been so disgusted with all the things I had tried up until then that I hadn't used ANYTHING!

Shampoo and water, that's it!

Maybe I just wasn't using the products right or, or maybe this little guys coat was just different than most, but I have been wondering ever since, if just making them clean isn't the best route :)

Rev (spider-mtc-td023.proxy.aol.com - 64.12.104.158)
Posted on Sunday, October 8, 2000 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't had a maltese kept long for years, but used to have a pretty little girl who came in every 10 days, with little or no combing between visits. I hated the feel of the coat with Quicker Slicker, Best Shot, or The Stuff, at that time had no NS Remo or Espree's Luxury Aloe Remo (another favorite of mine), and had never heard of using Infusium or Downy. But I got great results from well-diluted BioGroom Silk creme rinse, well rinsed out so as not to make the coat too heavy. Without the Silk the coat was too fly-away and static-y. If I had one today I'd definitely finish with Pure Silk, and might even be able to eliminate the BG Silk in that case.

And Snowy, Quicker Slicker (used to be called Liquid Slicker) is a Nature's Specialties product that coats the hairs so they're slicker and easier to demat. It can be sprayed on mats to ease dematting, or used very diluted as a rinse, which I rather like for the long heavy double-coats.

Mamabrown (84.houston-15-20rs.tx.dial-access.att.net - 12.73.247.84)
Posted on Monday, October 9, 2000 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, guys....Got a solution for you.
About a year ago, an elderly couple brought in this nasty, natty Maltese to be groomed....face feet and tail. The old man insisted that I brush out the mats. I looked at the dog and to be quite honest with you, the dog under normal circumstances would have to have been taken down with a 10. He insisted that I try to brush the dog out while he was still standing there. I said ok, grabbed a slicker and started brushing on the hip area. Was I speechless (that's really hard to do for me!) when the coat brushed out soft and smooth. The guy stood there just as pleased as punch. When I asked him why he knew that the mats would come out, he said that he had a secret weapon that he found accidently. One time when he was bathing the dog he found that he had run out of conditioner. He spotted his wife's Skin-So-Soft on the shelf and figured if it could soften her skin, that it might be ok on the dog. He used it and had no problem with the tangles that he usually got when he dried the dog. The added bonus was that they no longer had problems with mosquitoes or fleas because they used it regularly. When I asked our vet about it, she shook her shoulders and said, 'why not'?
Another use for that nasty smelling stuff!
Mama

gr8k9s (rn135-174.rose.net - 64.39.135.174)
Posted on Monday, October 9, 2000 - 8:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mamabrown~~~~~~ does it not leave the hair greasy or is it just something you would use in the current situation at hand?

Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2000 - 5:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mamabrown,

What is "Skin-So-Soft"? Please advise. Thanks.

Kimk (spider-tm022.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.197.52)
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2000 - 7:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Snowy, Skin-So-Soft is a product sold by Avon. I have used it diluted 50/50 with water to help dry skin and it is great for helping to keep the bugs off the dog.

sgtpepper (spider-tq081.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.201.81)
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2000 - 9:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to know also if it leaves the dog oily. Do yor rinse it out?

What do you do about staticky, flyaway hair. It is starting already this season. The dog sticks to me as I try to hand it over to the owner. Snap, crackle, pop.
Pepper

Nubbin68 (spider-tl081.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.207.211)
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2000 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whenever I have used Skin So Soft (diluted) on the dogs it sometimes leaves them a little oily- it depends on the breed and coat type. I usually rinse it off, but not a lot. Some people don't rinse if it's used diluted enough. I don't rinse if I'm spraying it on to keep bugs/fleas away.
For static, I've always used creme rinse or some kind of spray conditioner. Yep, it is the time of year to get zapped...oooh, I hate getting zapped (the dogs aren't pleased about it either-LOL).

Particentral (spider-wi054.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.197.44)
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2000 - 7:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bio groom makes an anti static spray that works wonderfully without weighing down the hair.

Nubbin68 (spider-wk054.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.198.174)
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2000 - 3:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool!- Bio groom makes an anti static spray. I didn't know they did. Will have to get some. Thanx Part.

sgtpepper (spider-wi061.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.197.46)
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2000 - 8:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks groomers!

Mamabrown (146.houston-10rh16rt.tx.dial-access.att.net - 12.83.211.146)
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2000 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The dog that I did was not at all oily which surprised me when the owner told me that he used skin-so-soft. The product is manufactured by Avon and is available online, in mall kiosks or from your friendly neighborhood Avon Lady (or Man....).
Mama

Shedog (spider-wo072.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.200.52)
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try Nature's Specialties Silk 'n Finish. It isn't greasy and we're finding dogs coming back in cleaner and less mats. Snowy, do tell your relatives not to bathe dog...think someone already mentioned that. Unless dog likes to chew coat, run in the rain, wade in puddles, he should be okay for 10 days. We have a ShihTzu and a Yorkie and trust me, I don't brush them every day. Too tired when I get home. We use a good conditioning shampoo and remoisturizer once a week and Silk 'n Finish. Good luck.

ilovemypitbull
Registered Member
Username: ilovemypitbull

Post Number: 30
Posted From: cache-dtc-ae08.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi everyone! im a groomer at petsmart and today was a really bad day. i only had one dog come in, a little 6 pound maltese MATTED TO THE SKIN BECAUSE THE OWNER BATHES IT AT HOME ALL THE TIME.i told him that the dog was really matted and his response was (my dog is not matted i brush him everyday and i bath him) so i knew it was worse than i thought when i heard him say that. so i stupidly tell him MAYBE i will be able to leave a half inch at most but i cant be sure till after i bath and condition him, the owner says thats fine signs the matted pet forn and leaves. omg!! i had to saok the dog in what seemed like a gallon of conditioner,then i force dried the hell out of the matts.which barley seperated them from the skin. i put him on my table and began to demat with a blue les pooch brush and a mat splitter, it took me a good hour to dematt not to mention the dog was horrible for it. so after that fiasco i ran a 3 blade all over the dog and trimmed the face and tail. i called the owner he came in to pick up and all hell broke loose when he saw his dog. he said it looked like sh!t and he wasnt paying for it and he would never let me touch his dog ever agian, id rather not anyway! then he wants my salon manager then he wants the store manager so they give him a refund because he was not happy with the groom. im pissed at this piont, then they tell me i wont get comission for the groom!!!! oh i was furious!!!!! my only dog all day, the owner tod me it was ok to leave a half inch,i dematted the dog for an hour and i did not get paid for it!!!!!!

jimily
Registered Member
Username: jimily

Post Number: 505
Posted From: cache-dtc-ae08.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have any Malteeses anymore. Their skin is so tender and their owners wouldn't understand the pain of dematting. When I finally would bring my greyhound comb into the house before the groom and tell them to comb through them and they couldn't...
After doing a short style on them I would bring the dog back in without my appointment book. I would say let's think about it when they would ask about rebooking. They didn't call and I didn't send a reminder.
I am doing a Malti/Poo puppy for one of my customers that has a troublesome toy poodle. I have yet to see a tangle when I come to groom those dogs. I give my customers a greyhound style comb and a ergonomic slicker as part of my Puppy Package.
Now if I can only get my Bichon Puppy owner trained to slicker and comb their baby correctly...LOL

gentle_groomer
Registered Member
Username: gentle_groomer

Post Number: 212
Posted From: dsl231-049-050.sea1.dsl.speakeasy.net
Posted on Friday, November 4, 2005 - 6:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have to get paid for your work!!! He signed the release form!!! Why do you PetSmart and Petco groomers put up with that?!?! There is no way that is legal, is there? I'm HATE the idea of a groomers union, but those of you at the big box stores really ought to do something. I can't believe what I'm hearing about what they do to you guys!

Rebekah

tailywags (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: cache-rtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Friday, November 4, 2005 - 7:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that would make me mad to, i wish the owners could understand more, don't get me wrong their are alot of great owners that are reading and writing these post, i wish they were near me. but the matting thing is the worst thing about dog grooming, and if you have a busy day you can not spend all that time on the dog , plus they hate it it is painful to them, then the dog will really hate groomers, its a cycle. i have four dogs that come to me that matt up easily, i try to get them in every 4 weeks, then its not bad, but this month they some how all managed to miss or reschedule their apts for two more weeks down the road and i am so nervious to see what condition they will be in.i know they hate the short look, but they need to understand. that is my big grooming wish!!!

dawg
Registered Member
Username: dawg

Post Number: 1548
Posted From: mailserver.hydro.mb.ca
Posted on Friday, November 4, 2005 - 8:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

putting aside the horrors of working for a corp (and i know all about them - i fall prey under my corp gov't job), let's talk about a Maltese.

for me, this breed fits under the very breakable and most likely to freak out and break themselves, along with toy poodles and yorkies. i do not think it is fair to put them through more than they can mentally or physically handle, which is FAR less than your average breeds. i don't even hv them.

this is my best experience:
a lady was sent my way when it became apparent that her ULTRA sensitive maltese (is there any other kind?) didn't handle the shop environment well. i am mobile and groom in their homes.

the first grooming appointment was a nightmare and i truly didn't expect to see this dog again. there was a contractor working in the very next room, screaming children ripping around and the 4 pound dog (and i mean i have yorkies bigger than her) was matted to the skin.

a very stressful strip was the result, of course. i didn't even try to work with that coat. and it was a battle, with this breakable little freak. i told the lady that the only way i'd come back is if it was during the day when no kids or contractors were around and if the dog wasn't matted. this fragile little thing just can't handle that kind of grooming - she's smaller than my clippers, for crying out loud!

so i've been grooming my little Miss Penny for over 2 years, now and she's one of my favorite dogs. as she grew out, our appointments went from every 4 weeks to 3 and now down to 2 weeks. the kids are never a bother and everything is as quiet as i need it to be. i bathe, soaking her in a good conditioner like cowboy magic for a good while, every two weeks. i also spray in two different leave-in conditioners. this woman is NOT interested in brushing, with a house full of foster kids. and she doesn't mind paying for my services. Penny gets some quiet 'her' time and comes out feeling fresh and clean!

we had to strip down twice more. the first was our first winter - wet/dry conditions caused matts to get away from us. the second was during outdoor construction, with the wind blowing gravel dust into her coat. and that was while we were still on a two week schedule!! any bichon could have handled a quick brush-out but that's how sensitive maltese's can be. owners really need to know this and adjust their lifestyles to facilitate daily gentle brushing. unlike any other creature i know.

oh, and when i first came to this dog, the owner was bathing her. i ended that PRONTO. i told her that unless she was willing to blow dry and brush out her dog EVERY time, as well as use a premium conditioner, that she was defeating what i was doing there every 4 weeks. so she bumped me to two weeks. :-)

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 3323
Posted From: stjh1-2735.nb.aliant.net
Posted on Friday, November 4, 2005 - 8:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A good rule is to show the person how matted the dog is with a comb. Visibly show them and if they are still being belligerent, send 'em on.

vroomvroom
Registered Member
Username: vroomvroom

Post Number: 943
Posted From: c-24-92-157-242.hsd1.ga.comcast.net
Posted on Friday, November 4, 2005 - 2:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do three malts in full coat and they come in EVERY WEEK. They still have a few mats but I wouldn't be able to keep them up even if they came in every two weeks. Two of the malts just got back from three weeks in the Bahamas and they came in THREE times this week so I could work the mats out a little at a time. Owners like this are few and far between, the rest of them need their dogs SHAVED BALD.

robynmichaels
Registered Member
Username: robynmichaels

Post Number: 30
Posted From: adsl-68-252-240-157.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net
Posted on Friday, November 4, 2005 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Maltese 'thread' goes back to 2000, and we have to continue to tell people that there is no magic. So many clients are from the Elizabeth Kubler-Ross school of life (anger, denial, bargaining, acceptance---I know I missed a stage) (this is from "On Death & Dying," btw). It's almost impossible to keep a pet Maltese in coat unless the owner is diligent about avoiding dirty, water, and static. They don't understand that whether it is short or long doesn't matter----it's the texture and the stress of life, and if the coat isn't growing (it's full length) it will be easier to maintain, but it still has to be done regularly----& that means at least weekly. You can't always get what you want. Life isn't a television show. Grow up. What else can I say?

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 2943
Posted From: adsl-68-93-3-110.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net
Posted on Sunday, November 6, 2005 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ilovemypitbull, I mean no offense, but I have to put some of the blame on you.
The man did not think his dog was matted and you didn't show him it was. I always have a comb in my pocket when checking in a new or not so frequent dog.
I'm sure he was brushing every day. Unfortunately, not correctly, but they can't know that unless she show them.
Of course he was upset. He thought he was doing right by his dog, brushing regularly and then picks up a shaved dog.

No matter how busy we are, it pays to take the time to thoroughly go through a dog and make sure the owner fully understands at check in.

I generally never promise a longer style even if I'm pretty sure I can accomplish it. This way they are prepared for naked and pleasantly surprised when the dog isn't.

You also mentioned the dog was horrible for the dematting. Imagine sitting in a chair for an hour while someone rips your hair out. I bet you would be horrible too. Some dogs, and some coats, can take dematting much easier than others. If the dog is fighting it that much, it's just not humane to put them through it.

On the other hand, there will always be people who refuse to listen and be educated. There's not much we can do about that but hope they go to another groomer. lol

Barb

groomor
Registered Member
Username: groomor

Post Number: 285
Posted From: c-24-22-92-140.hsd1.or.comcast.net
Posted on Sunday, November 6, 2005 - 7:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ilovemypitbull: Your post made me wonder why you clipped the dog short after going through all that dematting. Wasn't the point of dematting so that you could save the hair. Was it so damaged you could not leave it?
I have to agree with progroom on her call. The poor dog had to endure all that time dematting and you topped it off with a haircut. If I got the story wrong, I am sorry. It is one of the learning lessons that we all go through tho.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 3330
Posted From: stjh1-4330.nb.aliant.net
Posted on Monday, November 7, 2005 - 8:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to get all bent into knots over shaving dogs that people didn't realize were matted. As stated, show the person the matts. Sometimes they truly don't know. But if I sense they aren't going to be happy or they are going to kick up a major fuss I pass on them. That usually doesn't happen. I can really only remember one instance and the lady was cuckoo. LOL! I don't promise miracles. I just say I'll do my best and people usually understand that. I recently had a new CKCS and it was matted all in the front and the back, but not the middle. I said I would do my best and then called her at home and told her I really needed to shave the dog. It was too far gone. She wasn't happy but said she trusted me. ANyway she ended up LOVING his short do and phoned to tell me the neighbors raved over it. TG! He is a very tall and CKCS so he sort of looked like a beagle when I was done. She comes every 2 months now. Just build up your confidence:-)

mimsy (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: ip68-7-101-60.sd.sd.cox.net
Posted on Tuesday, November 8, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't get it.. I have a cool lil 3 year old matlese who is the most awesome guy ever. He's never seen the groomer and he looks great.. I cut his hair myself and he gets brushed about every other day. He looks fine. I don't get these stupid people who insist on keeping their matlese long but won't spend the time to keep it up.
If you have a maltese and you dont have the time, cut his damn hair short! Spare the poor groomers and make your life easier.

tngroomer
Username: tngroomer

Post Number: 719
Posted From: cache-rtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Tuesday, November 8, 2005 - 8:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen!

pinkiee
Registered Member
Username: pinkiee

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 24.94.117.250
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suggest EZ-Groom Ruff Out spray to my clients. I tell them to spray their dogs down every day focus on the spots that tangle the most, armpits belly legs, neck.. works good I haven't had to shave a Maltese down in about a year now. It's a leave in conditioner that prevents tangles. Doesn't become slimy no matter how much you use.

sticks
Registered Member
Username: sticks

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 86.42.16.226
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HELP how do I keep my maltese's butt clean I did trim the hair, but it still gets dirty

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 5608
Posted From: 68.92.246.125
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some dogs require a little more trimming than others. It could also be related to her diet. If she has a soft stool, it will catch in the hair much easier than a harder firm stool.

Barb

cass
Registered Member
Username: cass

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 202.3.133.50
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find that when my dogs get like that its related to diet.

Keeping their butt hair trimmed helps allot :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.