Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Should whiskers be cut on a dog? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » OTHER GROOMING QUESTIONS » Should whiskers be cut on a dog? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monica Garofano (fw2.ffhsj.com - 198.80.208.5)
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently had my english cocker spaniel groomed and he cut off her whiskers and he trimmed her eye lashes I was very upset when I saw her. This is the first time I ever had her groomed professionally I didn't even know that I had to tell them not to touch her whiskers or lashes what is done is done what I want to know is will they grow back? Isn't it dangerous to cut whiskers anyway aren't they there for the animals protection? Any suggestion would be soothing for me.

yankeeclipper (208.235.250.202 - 208.235.250.202)
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monica,

Don't despair, they do grow back and it doesn't cause any problems. I have two ECS. One was shown, the other not. It is common practice to cut the whiskers and eyelashes (all ECS show dogs have this done on a regular basis). I have an 18 mo that can grow about a 1/4" of whisker every 3 weeks and a 4 year old that grows about 1/16 to 1/8" in that same time frame.

Personally I think it looks neater, but I prefer to groom mine to look like the breed standard (basically looks like an English Springer Spaniel NOT an American Cocker Spaniel).

Starterdog (cr1026445-a.etob1.on.wave.home.com - 24.156.88.47)
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 7:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The traditional grooming standards for the ECS and many other breeds do say to take off the whiskers and many groomers have been taught to do this without question. My personal preference is to leave the whiskers, so I always ask my customers what they prefer. Having always had cats and knowing how important their whiskers are to them, I wonder if they are not at least a little important to dogs too? However, it does not seem to hurt them in any way when they are trimmed, and they do grow back. I guess the lesson for all of us, groomers and customers alike, is to be very detail oriented and make sure we know what is to be done on every individual dog.
Interesting note, apparently in Germany groomers are not allowed to trim dogs' whiskers any more.

Sandy (cache1.ev1.net - 207.218.245.6)
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 8:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is confusing to me, as I shave the faces of all cocker spaniels with a #15 blade- how do you keep the whiskers and do this? As for eyelashes, to me they are a nuisance and not that attractive, particularly on the dogs I do who have "weepy" eyes- yuck! I think the eyelashes thing gets kind of out of hand, I've done schnauzers with two-inch long lashes (that is LONG, folks) and when you're shaving that head it can get kind of tricky. (I hold them down with my thumb.)Ah well, to each his own, I guess!

Thistle (sdn-ar-024casfrmp072.dialsprint.net - 63.183.9.74)
Posted on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 9:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>apparently in Germany groomers are not allowed to trim dogs' whiskers any more<
hmm...no more ear cropping, no tail docking, no whisker trimming....what next, no hair trimming?? Look out groomers of Germany, your jobs may be on the line!

Yorkees (204-248-128-167-modem.o1.com - 204.248.128.167)
Posted on Sunday, February 4, 2001 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A groomer will clip your dog to the breed standard Monica, and the breed standard calls for shaved muzzle and no long eyelashes, since this is the first time you had your dog clipped professionally, you didn't know it, but when you go again, all you need to do is tell the groomer and let them know you want them left on. I personally dont like the eyelashes long because they are dust collectors and too near the eye for my taste..as far as the whiskers, no, they are not like on a cat, to be used to gauge space, widths, etc. I showed dogs (my own) for 20 years, and always shaved off whiskers with no detriment to the dogs.....hope this helps.....yorkees

Cdnenya (cfa1.execulink.net - 199.166.6.10)
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 6:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"apparently in Germany groomers are not allowed to trim dog's whiskers anymore" what about poodles whose owners prefer the clean face? Winfield, my crazy miniature schnauzer, sports really long eyelashes but I clean around his eyes everyday with mineral oil and am very careful to keep his eye gucks under control, whereas most owners wouldn't and built-up eye guckies irritate the eye. Monica, next time your English Cocker goes in for a haircut, just remember to tell your groomer your preferences! :) And don't worry, hair grows back!

Houndlady (pppa87-resaleflintb1-3r7230.dialinx.net - 4.54.205.84)
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 8:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I checked with our 1 groomer who actually works in Germany through the German "Plauderecke" here. She says there is nothing to the rumor, they are still cutting whiskers there too. She said there was an incident with a "crazy" vet going around at dog shows and cussing out exhibitors for trimming whiskers, but that's all.

Starterdog (cr1026445-a.etob1.on.wave.home.com - 24.156.88.47)
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 9:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I was wondering about the poodle face too. The person who told me German groomers couldn't cut whiskers is someone well known in the N. American grooming world, but I don't know where she got her info. On a related note, did anyone hear about the British vet who got in trouble for cutting bangs on a Skye terrier in show trim? The dog was in for a minor procedure and a vet at the clinic (not the dog's actual vet) saw him in the kennel and took him out and trimmed the bangs! Said it was cruel to have the dog not able to see, in his opinion. Owner was livid!

Cdnenya (cfa1.execulink.net - 199.166.6.10)
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 5:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't begin to count how many times I've heard the old "if you cut my OES bangs then he'll go blind" line.... and this is 2001! My customers must stick with their rural roots and old wive's tales in this small town. And how about this one..... lady came in last week saying she has a "new size" of cocker..... yes, she pointed to an Old English Sheepdog and declared her pure cocker was even bigger than that! I had trouble keeping a straight face when I referred her to PS's grooming. I feel for that Skye terrier's owner. I thought everyone knew what a Skye was supposed to look like.... hadn't that vet ever seen a pic of Greyfriars Bobby!?!?!

Shedog (spider-th034.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.213.59)
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 8:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeppers, I love to leave long lashes on a Schnauzer, especially when owner says trim the brows real short! LOL. Beauty is in eye of beholder. Also have a lot of cocker owners who want long lashes. I always ask new customers. I try never to "assume" what the customer wants. I trim the hard whiskers on my ShihTzu because it makes his beard lay better.J

Yorkees (63-175-34-87-modem.o1.com - 63.175.34.87)
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 3:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought I was the only one with a fetish about those danged hard whiskers sticking out of the beard!! LOL...I always did that to my yorkies too, snip every little hard whisker on the muzzle.......haha!!

Rev (spider-mtc-te064.proxy.aol.com - 64.12.103.179)
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 4:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee, I always thought you were supposed to!!

CoBryCa (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What functions do the whiskers on a dog perform? I have been told they help with their ability to balance. Sounds kind of leery to me. Does anyone know?

rev
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 8:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oddly enough, whiskers do perform some kind of function. They're connected at their base with nerve ganglia which have been traced to particular areas in the brain. Those areas of the brain grow when whiskers are left on, and stop growing when whiskers are removed. It's not known, or wasn't at the time I read the studies, what the function is, but it's apparently something. I've stopped clipping my collies' whiskers, or clean-faced client dogs' whiskers. This won't stop me clipping my dogs' whiskers for a show or two along the way, though, because they do grow back pretty fast; I just won't keep them clipped all the time. Still, I do wonder what the clipped-face dogs are missing. :-)

gravy_train
Posted on Wednesday, April 2, 2003 - 8:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Whiskers are not called whiskers they are called vibrissae. They are unlike the other hairs on the body. They are actually "alive" and have nerves in them. Scientific study has not done to very much research in this area of feline and canine. There is a good article on this at
http://www.bernese.org/vibrissa.htm
I know I'm a geek when it comes to knowing wierd things like this.LOL

gravy_train
Posted on Wednesday, April 2, 2003 - 9:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I guess that I should of looked in my marked web pages better. There is a more recent study on this. It is actually spooky if you read it careful.
http://www.zooclub.ru/eng/cats/sost/3.htm

brianna
Registered Member
Username: brianna

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 70.16.118.94
Posted on Monday, February 7, 2005 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does cutting a dogs whiskers hurt their equilibrium?

borzoimom
Registered Member
Username: borzoimom

Post Number: 435
Posted From: 206.230.184.144
Posted on Monday, February 7, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does not affect their equilibrium at all. Old wives tale.

bluebonbon
Registered Member
Username: bluebonbon

Post Number: 1325
Posted From: 209.179.168.52
Posted on Tuesday, February 8, 2005 - 1:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had always noticed that cats did react differently to having whiskers trimmmed. I had a few people over the years ask to trim them but never suggested it for cats. Now I think I will observe animals and their reaction. I do have some people who would be upset if I didn't shave the face short on their dog. Interesting link and something for groomers to think about. I hope they do more research to find out for sure.

prettyboy (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: ool-44c368a3.dyn.optonline.net
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

everything i have been reading on the subject
of trimming or cutting dogs or cats or any
other animals whiskers is a huge no-no !!

no wives tales about it.

please, if you care about your pet, please
don't do it.

British poocle lover
Registered Member
Posted From: 88.110.42.169
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 6:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whiskers are a needed sense on all animals including dogs and to cut them is selfish and very cruel. I do not understand why you would get rid of them just to look good.Shameful

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 2996
Posted From: 67.65.57.108
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whiskers are cut off of poodles every time the face is shaved without causing the dog hard.

Many other dogs gets clean shaved faces too and come out unharmed.

Barb

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 3440
Posted From: 156.34.207.76
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was at Dr. Coren's seminar and he also thought we should leave whiskers on dogs as they use them as part of their senses. I don't necessarily think it is cruel or anything in that regard. I don't know why but it seems to me cats use them more? I could be way off. All my dogs have their whiskers but anything with a shaved face... they get cut off. Interesting tho.

pasobrio
Registered Member
Username: pasobrio

Post Number: 385
Posted From: 65.66.151.43
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't imagine how hard it would be to shave a poodle's face without cutting the wiskers. I had to do a cocker once who's eyelashes I wasn't allowed to cut, they were huge and got in the way alot and one day I accidentally cut about 5 of them in half, I explained and apologized but never saw that client again. Oh well, I never get upset about losing a cocker client :-)

annette
Registered Member
Username: annette

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 70.173.163.118
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not to shave a poodles whiskers on a clean face? Oh my, what is next don't shave the bum or it will make the dog anal retentive?

pasobrio
Registered Member

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL, or don't shave the privates because they will feel violated.

pixiedust
Registered Member
Username: pixiedust

Post Number: 1283
Posted From: 209.192.117.167
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of my clients insists that that is how he judges when his dogs (springers) are ready to be groomed again. when he can see whiskers, time for a haircut.
does this mean a well kept poodle has NO sense?

catsmom
Registered Member
Username: catsmom

Post Number: 1201
Posted From: 152.163.100.196
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 7:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, but I'll bet that many people who claim that clipping whiskers is cruel also have tails docked on Poodles/Cockers/etc. and ears cropped on other breeds. So it's ok to permanently mutilate an animal for aesthetics but not clip whiskers that has no real harmful effect and grow back?

coquihalla
Registered Member
Username: coquihalla

Post Number: 686
Posted From: 216.210.111.98
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Next thing we hear, it'll be that men shouldn't have their whiskers cut as it messes with their libido or some such nonsense. Sheesh!

sandy
Registered Member
Username: sandy

Post Number: 785
Posted From: 68.88.235.177
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Come on guys, this is silly! How can it be said that this is CRUEL when poodles/cockers have shaved faces?? What groomer would NOT shave the faces of these breeds?

betty154
Registered Member
Username: betty154

Post Number: 806
Posted From: 216.135.105.137
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sheesh! Is right--

sandy
Registered Member
Username: sandy

Post Number: 786
Posted From: 68.88.235.177
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Double sheesh!

pasobrio
Registered Member

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Triple sheesh! It's not like we are piercing their nipples or something, we are just shaving whiskers! lol

pixiedust
Registered Member
Username: pixiedust

Post Number: 1302
Posted From: 209.192.117.167
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sounds like a lot of sheesh!

countrypet
Registered Member
Username: countrypet

Post Number: 566
Posted From: 24.93.9.165
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know one thing, I trimmed the whiskers on my Rottie cause he was looking very ragged and those things are coming back in sharp and nasty. Hurts me to touch him. Maybe thats why he asks so stupid?

countrypet
Registered Member
Username: countrypet

Post Number: 567
Posted From: 24.93.9.165
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I meant acts so stupid.. Sheesh !!

Mike Cunningham
Registered Member
Posted From: 68.110.67.112
Posted on Thursday, April 6, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently had my dog groomed which is a shihtzumaltese. I can't believe that they shaved him almost bald, even his whiskers. Now when he walks, he walks kind of side ways. Does this have anything to do with his whiskers being cut?

coquihalla
Registered Member
Username: coquihalla

Post Number: 716
Posted From: 216.210.111.98
Posted on Thursday, April 6, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No.

ilovemypitbull
Registered Member
Username: ilovemypitbull

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 205.188.116.131
Posted on Thursday, April 6, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well maybe your dog was so matted that your groomer had no choice but to shave your dog? and if so, you dog probly feels alittle funny now because it can feel the air hitting its skin.

dogdayz
Registered Member
Username: dogdayz

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 207.119.75.192
Posted on Friday, April 7, 2006 - 7:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

your dog is probly just feeling weird about missing all that heavy hair or he could have an inner ear infection?.If he was matted,the more matte dthey are,the heavier the fur will get and sometimes being shaved puts their body in shock as all that weight is lifted off of themcall your vet,get their opinion

mavie riller
Registered Member
Posted From: 64.136.49.229
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a pomeranian. Can those few wirey hairs that grow longer than the rest of the hairs around her face be trimmed? mavie

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 3730
Posted From: 156.34.192.163
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yep!

Claudette
Registered Member
Posted From: 208.96.95.220
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Golden Retriever was recently shaved for the first time and the groomer shaved her whiskers and so I was concerned. After reading everyone's comments I feel much better. Thanks for the info. She feels and looks much better, although I find now when she gives me kisses it's really picky....lol.

candycane
Registered Member
Username: candycane

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 24.109.199.171
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once brought my Doberman to get his picture taken with Santa Claus, which was a fundraiser for a local animal welfare group. Their volunteers were at a table collecting the cash for the photos, and a couple of the women were petting my dog when one of them gasped, "OH MY GOD, WHERE ARE YOUR WHISKERS???" I just said, "oh, I shave them, he's a show dog". Well good Lord, you'd think I'd just taken a baseball bat to him or something, and they started being all rude and calling me cruel! Funny, like catsmom said above, they didn't seem to have any problem with the fact that his ears and tail are "chopped off". I asked them if they'd ever been to a dog show, as practically all of the dogs there would be "whisker-free". Nope.

bpl
Registered Member
Username: bpl

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 88.111.96.32
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh come off it." Next we will say shaving dogs bums make them anal retentive"- no just their owners. Whiskers are part of a sense of the dog, DONT TAKE EM OFF. I dont dock my dogs tails or anything like that. Re the comment on men shaving, they dont use the hairs as a sense, talk about a crap comparison. Grow up, get your heads out the sand and stop it. A dogs whiskers are one of their senses, end of. Sheesh away but that will still be a fact.

Cannot believe people get annoyed when people tell them its just not on to trim them. I even know someone who trims her blind poodles whiskers off. Just because "the are 'orrible lil scratchy things" It makes me wonder why some people have dogs.

(Message edited by Bpl on November 2, 2006)

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 3442
Posted From: 68.91.80.209
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So please tell us how you shave a poodle or cocker face while leaving the whiskers intact?

Barb

BTW we play nice here. Since you are new, your attitude will be excused this time.

k9klipper
Registered Member
Username: k9klipper

Post Number: 838
Posted From: 72.10.75.225
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If clipping the whiskers will provide a cleaner appearance, then I will clip them. When I used to groom cats, I NEVER clipped them, I have seen cats act weird after having them clipped, cats truly do seem to use them, especially because they tend to be more nocturnal, so it helps them it tight situations. At least that is was a himi breeder confirmed with me years ago. I dont groom cats anymore, so I don't worry much with whiskers unless the client actually mentions to leave them.

rpg
Registered Member
Username: rpg

Post Number: 454
Posted From: 199.246.2.9
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

progroom - I was thinking the same thing. It was a harsh reply :o(
Thanks for wording your post so well!

betty154
Registered Member
Username: betty154

Post Number: 1236
Posted From: 216.135.105.137
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee, I would also like to know how to do a face and leave the whiskers? I can miss the ones on the eyebrows( if the dog doesn't move) BUT on the muzzle? How?

chezgroomer
Registered Member
Username: chezgroomer

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 68.251.154.55
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the OTHER big question is...even IF we proved that they served a major purpose (which hasn't been proven especially since MANY agility dogs, including poodles do great without Vibrassae) which is worse a poodle with five inches of matted nasty coat around it's face and the subsequent lesions or a shaven face!
I do not dispute that they have nerves, but I dispute that our HOUSEHOLD dog in which there is left LITTLE WOLF (especially the breeds we are referring to) is TORTURED by losing it's "whiskers/Vibrassae".

I have a basenji mix and she had whiskers/V til she was two I cut them for about a year just because...and then I grew them back. NO DIFFERENCE in her balance or work.

travelin_mac
Registered Member
Username: travelin_mac

Post Number: 343
Posted From: 71.9.18.63
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The whiskers aka vibrissae do serve a sensory function, which is vital to the survival of mammals in the wild.

Their sensory function is transmitted down the shaft of DEAD cells to the fancy accessories underneath the skin that make them functional. There is no "feeling" in the the shaft itself. The animal "feels" the motion or vibration as the whisker is being trimmed.

Working dogs need them. Hunting dogs need them. Blind dogs need them. Cats, rats, bats, etc need them. However, your ordinary house/show dogs who lives in the lap of luxury don't need them and won't miss them.

Many grooming styles are customary, not always necessary. Shaved faces and feet are prime examples. It is done more for aesthetic reasons than any other.

diamondog
Registered Member
Username: diamondog

Post Number: 2894
Posted From: 216.47.62.243
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right Mac and beauty is trully in the eyes of the beholder. I could not have one of 'my own' dogs' ears cropped. It's both the appearance and the waiting til they're 3 months old and the taping and casting and worrying if they'll stand or what the edges will look like. It's just not 'for me'.
On the other hand, I love docked tails. I just don't like tails. I don't like the thumping and banging or that they load up mud and burrs.
I'm so glad this forum allows people to post and defend their opinions on these and other subjects without breaking the rules of a good, honest debate.
My Airedale baby is just perfect for me. Floppy ears and a little less than half a tail, if he's been "abused", I can promise you, there is not one symptom of that.
As for whiskers, I surfed into one of the research studies about them and it was interesting reading. I really don't worry about shaving them. If a clean face is called for I do it without any hesitation. I agree that all traditionally shaved faces on breeds may be strictly for aesthetic reasons but I've also encountered the odd dog in my shop which required shaving to determine which end was which. In those cases where owners won't, or can't, keep up with the grooming needs of their hairy faced dogs, I say, "Shave em bald and give the dog some relief."
Common sense would likely dictate many of these decisions and, as someone posted, it's an example of the need to get detailed information from our customers. I'd sure be upset if someone shaved the beard off my Hairy!!! Even if it is just hair and will grow back. LOL!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.