Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Grooming a Scottish Terrier's Face Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » GROOMING SPECIFIC BREEDS » Schnauzers, Terriers » Grooming a Scottish Terrier's Face « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

doggielover
Registered Member
Username: doggielover

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 67.33.138.217
Posted on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today I just started to groom my 3-year old Scottie girl all by myself. She's been going to various groomers since she was 5 months old but I decided to give it a try. I purchased a grooming table and a #7 Andis clipper blade (as I only had a #10) and some other supplies to help me.
BOY was she a handful! She put her dukes up, so to speak. I had the most difficult time grooming her face. She was constantly moving. When I was reading the book by Sam Kohl regarding Scottie grooming (which was by then covered in fur) I didn't see any detailed pictures on the face. I just tried to follow the lines established by the groomer. I used the #10 clipper on her face between the ear tufts in the front and the eyebrow but ended up cutting WAY too close. She now looks like she has a skin condition there. It seems that her hair is really thin there. I need some advice on handling her when I groom her face and detailed instructions on how to groom it.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

scottygirl
Registered Member
Username: scottygirl

Post Number: 818
Posted From: 67.101.130.179
Posted on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 9:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As you know, scotties can be very feisty and stubborn! Most of the scotties I groom never seem to like their beards held, so the way I get around it is to cup their faces loosely in my left hand (sort of let them rest their head in my hand). Many of them prefer to lie down while I'm working on their heads -- not sure why, but I let them do it. They aren't good at holding their heads still for any long period of time, so I give them lots of little breaks to avoid them jerking their heads away quickly while I'm working and having them end up with a bald spot.

Next time try your #7 on top of her head instead of the #10. Follow the grain/growth of her hair. You can try the #10 on her throat/cheeks, but not on top of her head.

When I first started grooming my scottie the best thing that helped me was a wall calendar with photos of scotties. They usually have great headshots and it really helped me to look at a photo and try to copy it. Also, you should get the book "Notes from the Grooming Table". The instructions for grooming a Scottie are very detailed and the illustrations are very good.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 2600
Posted From: 66.142.44.9
Posted on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did a Google search and found this picture. It has a nice view of the head.

http://www.sarahjoyscotties.com/images/Polo12month.jpg

Barb

doggielover
Registered Member

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 67.33.138.217
Posted on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 2:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the tips. I made other mistakes on grooming her. I clipped her tail hair too short. It looks like a rat tail instead of an inverted carrot. Her ears have the "donut ring" of longer hair. I should have shaved the back of her ears all together. I got these tips from this website.

She seemed so stressed after the grooming I think I'll wait about a week or so to fix her ears. Thanks again.

lorgul
Registered Member
Username: lorgul

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 206.126.213.204
Posted on Monday, March 7, 2005 - 6:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is common for scotties to have thin hair in front of the ears, I agree try a 7 at least in that area, you can still do the rest with a 10. You're right the whole ear is very clean except for the tufts. Seems like you are on the right track, it takes practice.

doggielover
Registered Member

Post Number: 5
Posted From: adsl-158-14-147.asm.bellsouth.net
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I have been grooming my Scottie and feel that the areas that I'm unhappy with are her face and her feet.

Regarding her feet, am I supposed to shave in between her toes?

And regarding her face, the groomer that I was taking her to did an unusual cut on her face (not in the grooming book). He would accentuate her eyes by cutting the hair about 1/2" all around her eyes. This would thin out her beard and would look less natural. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. Now that I've let her beard grow in (the hair below her eyes is growing out), I'm not sure if this is right either. On the picture that progroom sent me, I can't tell whether the hair has been cut below the eyes or not.

The things that I am very happy with are her ears (thanks to the advice on this board) and her coat fringe. The transition from shaved back to long fringe on the sides was always puffy when I took her to the groomer. Now that I do it, the transition is a lot smoother. I use thinning shears on this area. She still runs and hides from me when she suspects that she's about to get a bath but once she's in there, she doesn't fight me as hard as she used to.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I have an appointment this week with a very good groomer who is going to go over all of the areas that I'm uncertain about.

scottygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 883
Posted From: h-64-105-73-49.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No trimming between the toes. Just a tightly scissored foot, and shave the pads.

No hair should be trimmed below the eyes (ever!). Definitely let the hair continue to grow out and eventually it will look natural again. A thinning shear can be used on the inside corner of each eye and between the eyebrows to get a nice definition. You can also use the thinning shear on the outside corner of each eye to blend tightly into the cheeks.

Glad to hear she's getting better for her grooming sessions. My scottie runs for the hills when he hears the word "bath"!

spottydog (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: cache-rtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 9:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I groom a lovely little scottie, and I have never trimmed below the eyes on her (or any other scottie). Then I showed up one day and the owner informed me that the dog had been scratching below one eye. On closer inspection I saw that she had given herself a good gash. I trimmed the area with a 10, washed gently, and had the owner use an anti-bacterial. It healed well, very quickly, but now even tho I haven't trimmed under that eye again, it's been months and months and the hair that grew back sticks right up! It gets to be 2 or even 3 inches, sticking up and out, before I use thinners and take it back. I am very unhappy and wish I had never trimmed, but the fur was yucky with pus and scabs. Is there any way to get it to lay back down naturally again? Or have I cursed myself with having to use thinners under that eye forever to keep the hair down?

scottygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 886
Posted From: h-64-105-73-49.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 6:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm, I'm thinking that the hair needs to get to a certain length before it's heavy enough to lay flat on it's own. There's probably no way to get it lay down before it grows to that length except by spraying some silicone on your fingers and wetting the hair that way and then use some hair gel to hold it flat. This will probably just be a temporary fix though. There's also a chance that because she had a gash under her eye, the area is scarred and the hair is always going to grow back funny and may never lay down properly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.