Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

HAIR BREAKING ON TOP OF HEAD- Havanes... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » GROOMING SPECIFIC BREEDS » Lhasa Apso, Shih Tzu, Havanese, Pekinese » HAIR BREAKING ON TOP OF HEAD- Havanese Dog « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alison Brackman (user-2ivebh2.dialup.mindspring.com - 165.247.46.34)
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 7:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am showing my 16 month old Havanese dog and am dumbfounded about what to do to keep the hair on top of his head long. The hair has broken off at about 2 1/2 inches from the crown. I notice that he scratches his head with his back paws. His top knot has not been pulled up since last October. I have been conditioning the hair on top with a variety of products: Vellus Satin Cream, Pet Silk Oil, Nature's Specialties Sink-N-Finish, and Pet Silk Oil (but not all at once, LOL!). He gets a high quality diet (Wysong), and Lipiderm oil, and Missing Link supplements.I was recently told to keep the top knot in oil. Has anyone ever dealt with this problem before? What do you suggest? All advice is greatly appreciated!Many thanks, Alison

Kvp (bis150.buckeyeweb.net - 63.69.34.150)
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 7:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Allison! I am going through the same with My Standard poodle.(18 months old) First use a pin brush only and do not let it get matted. (even a little) Putting him in oil may help (it did not my standard) Try using a mink oil spray to prevent matting between baths. Ring 5 and #1 all systems work fine. Try starting him on a weekly or bi weekly bath with Coathandler. Start with the 15 to1 for the first few baths then switch to the 5 to1 , follow with the conditioner. You need to use wraps in his hair to protect it from dammage (like scatching) I can e-mail you a web site where you can get wraps and bands.
PS always brake the bands ,don't pull them out. No force dryer either, let air dry for awhile then fluff with a pin brush and stand dryer

Teacherspet (user-2iveahs.dialup.mindspring.com - 165.247.42.60)
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice. I would appreciate the information on the papers for wrapping. Do you like #1 All Systems Humectant Oil (Evening Oil of Primrose, etc) or the Moisturizing Coat protector & Enhancer Spray? I had used the Coat Handler Products exclusively, but my dog's hair just matted uncontrollably. I love the 15 - 1. Nothing beats it for getting the dirt out! I now use NS Plum Silky & the Aloe Remo. My dog's coat is quite soft and cottony. Is it possible to wrap the top knot? Thanks for the input! Much appreciated! Alison

wolf-hound (1cust182.tnt6.gainesville.fl.da.uu.net - 63.29.227.182)
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you wrap the topknot ( or any hair ) you can use the paper slip used in hair salons for curlers (or something like that - LOL I know lots more about dog hair than mine!) and it is really cheap and just the right size. A friend of mine in yorkies taught me how to do it. Also you can use soft 'fuzzy' hair bands ( pony-tail holders for kids ) and they won't break the hair or catch it like real latex bands will. They come in teeny ones at the Dollar General or Family Dollar stores for a buck(15+ bands/bag!!) Try it all if neccessary and make absolutely sure not to allow ANY knots to form at all. wolf-hound@lycos.com

wolf-hound (1cust5.tnt2.gainesville.fl.da.uu.net - 63.26.249.5)
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops! My show friend said to use wax paper to wrap in for when the hair gets longer, it will not catch the hair like regular paper, and when I 've wrapped my show yorkies hair it almost looks like it is shineyer! Good luck!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.