Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

How can i get lab mix to stop sheddin... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » SHEDDING » How can i get lab mix to stop shedding?i have dog hair flying all over house « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

pilgramlady1 (wc2-int1.nbnet.nb.ca - 198.164.200.215)
Posted on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 7:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

help,i have dog hair all over house,it is making me crazy

Mitzi (mitzil.mmjgroup.com - 192.34.35.23)
Posted on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 8:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What food do you feed? Do you bathe in warm enough water?

Rev (spider-mtc-te054.proxy.aol.com - 64.12.103.174)
Posted on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diet is a factor, and any dog living mostly indoors will tend to shed somewhat constantly. Most if not all dogs shed more in the spring, and again in the fall. Some of the "deshedding" topicals reportedly help. Adding a bit of Omega oils into his diet might help some. Vacuuming the dog between baths can pick up a lot of loose hair before it gets on furniture and carpet. But the biggest help is to get all the dead hair out when you bathe, and to do so often. A warm bath, and a blow-dry with a high-velocity dryer will get a lot of it, but after that and between grooms a shedding blade is probably your best bet for a lab. These are available in pet stores. A shedding blade is a flexible metal strip with "saw-tooth" edges (not sharp) and handles. To use hold the handles together so the blade forms a loop, then whisk the loop lightly over the coat in the direction the coat lays. This will pull out the dead coat. Keep going over each area until no more hair comes out, and you should be good for another 2-4 weeks except in shedding season.

Beverly Isbell (66.24.9.85)
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 5:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a yellow lab and they shed even more after brushing and bathing. Am considering shaving her to get some relief. What size blade should I use to to this?

doggygirl (142.154.30.84)
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 6:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a groomer and I have a yellow Lab. Have you ever had her professionally groomed? We have a high velocity dryers that can blow that shedding hair out of the coat, without the need to shave. They still shed when they are shaved down, just the hair is shorter. I have regular lab clients that come for a bath and "blow".

bluebonbon (209.179.51.30)
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have shaved a couple of labs, mostly because of family allergies so I have used a 7f or 9 blade after the bath to get a smooth finish.
It was shave the dog or get rid of it, so I shaved it. The son did much better after the dog was shaved and kept short and clean.

Mitzi (192.34.35.23)
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beverly,
Have you tried something called a shedding blade? It is a nasty looking thing, looks like a saw, but is perfectly harmless. It will help to pull all that dead undercoat. Of course, use it outside! LOL Try this before you do something as drastic as shaving.

doggygirl (142.154.30.79)
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 6:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I actually did shave my lab once also. Just to see what it would look like. I never did it again. I just groom her about once a month and what a difference it makes with keeping the shedding to a minimum.

Kitty (151.198.136.129)
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 5:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, and that shedding blade (or carding with a 40 blade) is a dream come true!

ShaggyTails (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 63.228.194.154
Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two labs one 12yrs and one, one yr I am a groomer. Labs just shed year round. I Hate hair so I shave my older lab because she cant go hunting any more. Tried shedding blades,mars coat king helps a little, I have yet to try the furminator, They do shed worse after bathing and blowing out and even worse in the spring and fall. Havent tried the shedless shampoos has anyone tried those? Just from experience with my own hairy girls

bowow
Registered Member
Username: bowow

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 66.82.9.11
Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 7:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you don't want to have them shaved, you can maybe locate a grooming shop in your area that offers the Furminator system. My clients are in love with it. It really does cut the shedding by up to 80%.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.