Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Tear stains Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » STAINS AND STICKY STUFF » Tear stains « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

seda marten (dhcp3-122.dov.adelphia.net - 24.50.144.122)
Posted on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 8:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i need help !!! i have 3 english bulldogs that have severe eye stains.
i took them all to the vet. he said they are healthy and i should try the stuff sold in pet stores, i did try it. 3 differant kinds and the stains are stll there ! any ideas on what i can do to remove the dtains ??? i show my dogs in conformation, but i cant like this.....
any help would be great !!!!! thank you sooo much !!!!!!!!
seda

Rev (spider-mtc-te054.proxy.aol.com - 64.12.103.174)
Posted on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try giving them distilled water (and remember that you may then need to supplement minerals to replace those in the water). To remove the stains, go to the "Miscellaneous Tidbits" link at left to find a formula for tear stain remover. Or use "Keyword Search" to find other strings on this topic. Also, you can use petroleum jelly, a very thin film of it, under the eyes to prevent the stuff from sticking to the hair.

Schuyler (198.209.221.55 - 198.209.221.55)
Posted on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was at a grooming seminar recently and one of the speakers told us this stuff called Pawier (available from the Dog Outfitters)works really well.It goes on the dog's food ( or water can't remember which)and is supposed to reduce the tear stains.Maybe someone on here has tried it.

Mitzi (mitzil.mmjgroup.com - 192.34.35.23)
Posted on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought Pawier was added to the water? Oh well. I have heard it works. Met a gal last year at Groomwest in Co. Springs that used it on her Bichon. It still had terrible eye stains, but she said they had been much worse, and were getting better everyday.

Fleadip (1cust61.tnt2.baytown.tx.da.uu.net - 63.23.243.61)
Posted on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a customer that breeds malteses. She told me that if you use distilled water and wipe below their eyes 2-3 times a day with a cotton ball, that the tears will not stain. This doesn't help the already stained hair, but let it grow out and eventually cut it. She has five dogs and none have tear stains.

Larodrig (ip-67-122-54.slc.navipath.net - 216.67.122.54)
Posted on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a mixture of corn starch, peroxide and something else that works wonders for tear stains, any body out there knows the whole formula? I forgot where I read it!

Rev (spider-tk063.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.206.203)
Posted on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 8:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's the one in "Miscellaneous Tidbits" I mentioned.. I think the other thing is Pepto-Bismol.

Teacherspet (user-2ive6ok.dialup.mindspring.com - 165.247.27.20)
Posted on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a lot of good information about tear staining in maltese that may be applicable. Follow the links to the articles on tearstaining at http://www.bhejei.com
Alison

Lori A. (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 128.119.232.48
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 2:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Feed your dogs the raw diet and no more tear stains.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 713
Posted From: 142.154.31.133
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 4:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The raw diet is good but not for everyone and not for every dog. JMO.

Andrea Kulaszewski (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 68.43.83.161
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a fawn pug and she has horrible tear stains. I haven't tried anything yet because I am not sure what to use, and I am afraid of doing it by myself because of the way her eyes are. What should I do?

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 6223
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A couple of the earlier suggestions above are safe and easy.. wiping down the area with cotton balls or soft washcloth, and putting a very thin film of vaseline on the area. The two together should help a lot.

car
Registered Member
Username: car

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 63.172.168.13
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 9:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have cockers and a schnauzer, I use an old cat grooming trick. Contact cleaner does a really good job of cleaning up the tear stain, pee stains and the red stains between the toes. It disinfects and is completely safe. On the white beard of the schnauzer is just fantastic. Hope this helps.

best_friends
Registered Member
Username: best_friends

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 24.92.162.247
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 6:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is contact cleaner?

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 6231
Posted From: 205.188.209.135
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 8:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would assume contact lens cleaner?

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 803
Posted From: 142.154.31.5
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 9:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here I go again:-) Could possibly be diet related.

I have heard of people giving their dog a Tums a day and it has helped.

particentral
Username: particentral

Post Number: 1741
Posted From: 205.188.209.135
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 2:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was at my vet today leaving my new puppy for a tonsilectomy and overheard the newest vet at the practice telling one of my grooming clients that ALL white dogs tearstain and that there are LOTS of petshop products that work great to help with this. It was all i could do to not go into the room and tell him off. He does not touch my dogs! She will be in my shop tomorrow and I will tell her then that she as misinformed.
There are many underlying causes and no real answers. Every dog is different. And sometimes it takes anitbiotics to clear it up. Sometimes its water, sometimes diet.
I may be rambling, but at least I make sense to me! LOLOLOL

Registered Member
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks car, but what is contact cleaner? Is it contact lens cleaner?

car
Registered Member

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 204.95.66.131
Posted on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 7:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner, been at dog shows. Yes it is the contact lens cleaner. I use just about a gallon of it on my cockers and schnauzers. Eckerd's drug store or the grocery store carry it and is only about $2 a bottle. A groomer that does cats put onto this and my buff and my parti cocker have no tear stains. I use it on my schnauzers beard and it is always nice and white. Thank you.

dogshowaddict
Registered Member
Username: dogshowaddict

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 63.189.193.157
Posted on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mom has had great results with contact wetting solution on her two retired show Westies. Who would have known?
Juli

Registered Member
Posted on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks car for getting back to me. I tried it and it works great thanks.
Andrea}

car
Registered Member

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 204.95.66.102
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are most welcome Andrea. It not only works there but on Schnauzer crud. My one guy just seems to get that over night, but since I started useing the contact solution it has not come back as often. I like the fact that it disinfects as it cleans. Such a simple solution for such a big problem.

scottygirl
Registered Member
Username: scottygirl

Post Number: 197
Posted From: 65.129.40.26
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 5:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't wait to try this on my dog; thanks so much for this tip!

tsmmes
Registered Member
Username: tsmmes

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 65.101.165.112
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 6:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not being a contact lens wearer.. can someone tell me a brand name? I looked and was not really sure what I was looking for. There are wetting solutions, cleaners, cleaner/disinfectants, etc etc. Also, do you soak some of that stuff on pre-bath? Dab it on after they are dry? How long? Thanks for any help.

hairyterrier
Registered Member
Username: hairyterrier

Post Number: 362
Posted From: 208.180.24.186
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It really kinda makes sense that it works. The contact lens products are made to clean and remove protein deposits on the lens. Tears and saliva are pretty much liquid proteins, aren't they?

car
Registered Member

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 63.172.168.11
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tsmmes, I use the 3-n-1 products. It cleans/disinfects/storeage. It can be the store brand, I don't pay for the expensive brans since I use so much. After their bath and are blown out, I can see where the help is needed. I just dump some on (sometimes quite abit, don't need to be stingy with this stuff) rub it into the effected area and towel dry the excessive off. Then blow dry. Don't rinse! I use this on my show dogs for the pee stains before finishing their grooming for the ring. I see alot of the show people putting baby powder on so as not to stain, but I don't like the powder all over everything. So when I found this method, I was delighted. Leaves the coat beautiful and NO POWDER to dry out the skin. I am glad I stepped up and mentioned this.

tsmmes
Registered Member

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 7:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

car, thanks for the info and detailed instructions. I will be trying this very soon!
Sharon

car
Registered Member

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 63.172.169.130
Posted on Saturday, November 1, 2003 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sharon or anyone else, did you try the contact lens cleaner? Would like to know what you think of using it and if it helped you?
Thanks car

tsmmes
Registered Member

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, November 1, 2003 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i tried it and didnt notice alot of difference, i would imagine if its a regular client that i could apply it on each visit it would help alot more.

kk (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 209.143.10.227
Posted on Sunday, November 2, 2003 - 7:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to a dog show yesterday, and a lady there told us that she uses Sally Hanson hair bleach for her English Cockers. It is in a package with and activator. You mix the powder and the liquid, then appyl with a q-tip, let it dry and do it again. But that was for her show dogs. I don't think it would work at the shop, as you need several applications in a few hrs' time. And I asked about getting it in the dog's eye, and she said she has used it for 4 years, and never once had any trouble with that.

vroomvroom
Registered Member
Username: vroomvroom

Post Number: 454
Posted From: 24.99.73.148
Posted on Sunday, November 2, 2003 - 1:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Sally Hanson for me and it BURNS. Also makes a foamy kind of stuff that falls off all over the place. And you have to leave it on for 10 minutes. I have serious doubts that it would be safe to use on a dog that didnt have drop dead manners and a willingness to stand perfectly still until you took it off. Even then there would be a possibility of getting it in the eyes and the package insert will tell you it can cause blindness. As for letting it dry, you still have the same problem only a longer waiting period.

kk (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 209.143.10.64
Posted on Sunday, November 2, 2003 - 6:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stood there and watched her put it on the dog, and the dog never moved- not like she HAD to sit still. But like I said, I don't know anything about it, just took this girl's word that she hasn't had any trouble in 4 years. But it is only good for a few hours, long enough for her to get into the show ring and out. I am not saying use it, just wanted to tell what this person uses. And yes, I asked about the eyes, as that would be my first consideration. She SAID she never has had any trouble- but would it leach into the eye if there were tears? I don't know- there has to be a better way to get rid of the stains. SHe also said she had tried putting the vasoline in the corners of the dog's eyes every morning, and that never touched it- her eyes still water a lot, and the stains are very visible. Anyone else???

Marcia Black (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 65.170.227.50
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This remedy is for cover-up on light colored dogs. I use it on my Cream/Apricot toy poodle and it is wonderful for covering the stains. It does not prevent tear stains. I'm gong to try several of the remedies mentioned for prevention. Attached is a link to where you can purchase this item. It's a little pricey but you use it sparingly.

Try Bio-Groom Stain Free at the Parti Poodles Shopping site.

Marcia

shaggy tails (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 65.100.194.125
Posted on Sunday, November 7, 2004 - 1:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone ever try eye envy?

lew1s
Registered Member
Username: lew1s

Posted From: 64.12.117.11
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 2:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HAS ANYONE TRIED THE HOME REMEDY OF CORN STARCH, PEROXIDE AND PEPTO BISMAL? OR ARE THERE PRODUCTS OUT THERE THAT CAN BE BOUGHT AT A PET STORE THAT WORK WITH BETTER RESULTS? THANKS.

coquihalla
Registered Member
Username: coquihalla

Post Number: 144
Posted From: 64.114.107.27
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please turn off your cap lock so you aren't shouting. We'd all appreciate it. Thanks.

I am using the cornstarch/peroxide/ milk of magnesia remedy for my shih tzu's tear stains. It made a difference the first time I tried it but it didn't take all of it out so I am re-applying once a week. Seems to be working. Do be careful that you don't get any in the eye and rinse clean and dry afterward.

Deborah Lynn (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 4.43.143.28
Posted on Monday, March 7, 2005 - 2:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a miniture schnauzer and he is licking and chewing himself constantly. His hair is also falling out. Anyone have any ideas?

thedotteddog
Registered Member
Username: thedotteddog

Post Number: 1694
Posted From: 67.117.26.242
Posted on Monday, March 7, 2005 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Food Allergies?

johnny black (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 68.3.168.245
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

re- eye envy. i tried it and it didnt work.

Abc (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: res-66-169-58-050.spa.sc.charter.com
Posted on Sunday, April 3, 2005 - 3:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone told my friend to use 1/4 of a tums every day on her poodle. I would be scared to do that but she did and it worked. It took some time but you can't see the stains at all now and it is a white poodle.

RENEE ROSE (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: ca12-ch01-bl01.mo-stlouis0.sa.earthlink.net
Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A ENGLISH BULLDOG PUP AND SHE HAS EYE STAIN....WHAT TO DO TO GET RID OF IT?

valharly
Registered Member
Username: valharly

Post Number: 583
Posted From: pool-141-153-55-2.char.east.verizon.net
Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With a Bulldog you need ot have the vet check for Entropion eyelids. This is where the eyelid is too small for the eye causig the eyelashes to rub the eye. I would start at the vets and try to find the cause. If that os not the problem, he may give oyu eye drops that will help.

reneerose (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: ca1462-ch01-bl03.ma-cambridg0.sa.earthlink.net
Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2005 - 8:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i did and he said her eyes were fine.....any thing else to try? diamond eye? does it work?

Kiwana (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: adsl-222-88-196.jan.bellsouth.net
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a maltese who has tear staining really bad. When I asked the vet of what to do she told me to apply peroxide to the area, but that did not work so I asked the breeder who I bought my dog from and she recommended diamond eye so I got it and started using it thursday and I have noticed a big difference. I can actually see his white face again. I apply it to the area three times a day

robynmichaels
Registered Member
Username: robynmichaels

Post Number: 37
Posted From: vnhlilnas01-pool0-a136.vnhlil.tds.net
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 7:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had clients who've had success with feeding distilled or filtered water. I am experimenting with eye envy (which MUST be refridgerated & be used every day). It seems to be a bacterial infection that causes the tearing, but I don't think too many veterinarians take it seriously. Eye envy is a new product, but many have had very good results.

catsmom
Registered Member
Username: catsmom

Post Number: 1181
Posted From: cache-mtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Angel's Glow. The stuff is amazing.

m. rider (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: cache-mtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i used Angel's Glow on both my dogs and noticed a slight difference, but not like they guareenteed after 30 days....NOT so amazing!

sholuk
Registered Member
Posted From: 217.44.42.63
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just bought a product called Kleen face has anybody ever used this

inetjunkie247
Registered Member
Username: inetjunkie247

Posted From: 76.173.252.219
Posted on Friday, February 2, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a small, pure white, maltese and the only thing that has helped after trying many things is a combination of 2 things...First, Angel Eye's (not to be confused with Angel Glow.) You can purchase it online. You have to use it daily for a few months. It is a powder that you can put in the food or in a treat and feed them. I normally wrap it in a bite size piece of meat. I had the groomer shave between his eyes so that it was instantly clean when I started the Angel Eye's. It took about a month and I never saw a stain again, unless I got lazy and stopped using it for a few weeks. My dog has watery eyes and so about 3 days after his bath, I will see were it looks like tear stains in the corner but as soon as I bath him, it is gone. and Second to keep that from showing, just wipe his eye's with the Contact Solution once a day and you won't see it at all. The brand doesn't seem to matter. He never gets yellow around his mouth at all and I never wipe that. After a few months of daily use of Angel Eye's, you can cut back to a few times a week. Just know that once you stop using Angel Eye's, the stains will come back. It is not a cheap solution but I am 100% happy and satisfied. I have used Eye envy and that does work but it is a lot of upkeep. If you miss a day or two, you can see the stains coming. But it does clear up stains so that you don't have to shave they eyes and it clears it up within in a week. It was a lot of work though and it goes bad in the frig after about a month. The Angel Eye's is less work.

(Message edited by inetjunkie247 on February 1, 2007)

groomnpoodles
Registered Member
Username: groomnpoodles

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 63.173.214.196
Posted on Friday, February 2, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a client with a Shih Tzu that was having alot of problems with runny eyes/eye stains. She switched foods to a higher quality and VOILA! No more staining! It really made a difference.

doggiestlist
Registered Member
Username: doggiestlist

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 69.135.178.80
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering how well the angel eyes worked thank you for sharing that experience with us .that product just happens to be advertized on my personal webpage .now I can accually recomend it to clients

rls
Registered Member
Username: rls

Post Number: 1473
Posted From: 69.34.11.74
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Changing to a high quality food will definately take care of the stains.....you have to remember treats too. DO NOT feed those yucky treats you buy in the pet stores or grocery store. Only treats that say 100% fish, liver, chicken, whatever, no preservatives....that's all the ingredients say. I have seen angel eyes do wonders also.

littlelulu
Registered Member
Username: littlelulu

Posted From: 205.188.116.19
Posted on Tuesday, July 3, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found the BEST product to get rid of those ugly tear stains !!! It is called Purifeye - it is made by petpurity.com . It is all natural and realllllly works !!! It is amazing!!!

vivilee
Registered Member
Username: vivilee

Post Number: 420
Posted From: 64.231.244.13
Posted on Tuesday, July 3, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't this spam? First post ever and promoting a non-sponsored website?

The ingredients of this tear stain remover are questionable since the analysis is not available. Too much kelp is harmful and can cause thyroid problems in dogs.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 4188
Posted From: 68.95.126.255
Posted on Wednesday, July 4, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spam?? Assuming she's not involved with the company she did nothing wrong. She did what everyone else does. She found a thread that she could contribute too and did.

She did better than a whole bunch of regular posters by not putting the site as a direct link.

Barb

littlelulu
Registered Member
Username: littlelulu

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 152.163.101.5
Posted on Thursday, July 5, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been coming to this website for years to get tips and advice. Now I have a suggestion to contribute back, so I finally became a member to share my solution to the tear stain problem that many people have to deal with. I didnt mean to set off any alarms.
And by the way, I did check with my holistic vet and the ingredients are actually beneficial for every day use!

pasobrio
Registered Member
Username: pasobrio

Post Number: 1670
Posted From: 69.148.240.101
Posted on Thursday, July 5, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the board littlelulu and hope to see you contributing even more. Please don't be scared off, this is a wonderful place full of learning, laughing, sharing, caring and a whole lot of other things, some don't even end in ing :-)

louise045yahoocom
Registered Member
Username: louise045yahoocom

Posted From: 72.94.150.71
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use angle glow. twice a week I use mom,boric acid,and distelled water formula and I get great results.

angelworks
Registered Member
Username: angelworks

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 24.113.220.41
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello louise045yahoocom ~
I have all of the ingredients that you've recommended (incl. boric acid powder) - could you please share the proportions? I also use Tylan once a day (active ingredient in Angels Eyes/Glow) and it is terrific, however, because it is an anti-biotic I discontinued the use for a week between shows - sorry that I did, as the stains returned immediately and it took a month for them to clear up!

cher
Registered Member
Username: cher

Post Number: 267
Posted From: 24.57.10.190
Posted on Monday, October 1, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I told a client about purifeye because his Maltese has horrible tear stains. His feet were discolored tool. He ordered it and had been using it and you know that dog had no stains on his face or his feet. It does work, I was impressed.

jayne
Registered Member
Username: jayne

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 24.19.70.214
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cannot believe that I am reading these suggestions of using peroxide, hair bleach around your dogs eyes?
Before you try any of these ( harsh chemicals) use it on yourself around your eyes and see how it feels.
Hairbleach with a 20-30-or 40 developer will chemically burn your fingers. Can't imagine putting it near a dogs eye.

Now the contact lens wetting solution makes sense.
You use it for your eyes, should be safe enough to put near the dogs eyes.

Please people, don't suggest "Chemicals" that are meant for Hair to be used on or around the eyes!

lakeishapug
Registered Member
Username: lakeishapug

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 71.87.124.47
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jayne, thanks for your post. Even though those are older posts your words are important for others to read. I like to suggest bottled or distilled drinking water for my customers, along with a vet checkup to make sure there aren't any eye problems causing the staining. Being a Pug and Peek momma I'm all about keeping eyes safe and healthy.

jayne
Registered Member

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lakeishapug:
Yes it is important to let others know. I was browsing through the threads looking for a solution to my pom/lhaso mix tear stains.
He just developed them about a year ago (vet says allergy related) and I have tried everything under the sun. Nothing OTC worked for me.
I am a hairstylist of 27 years so you can imagine my reaction when I see others suggestion of bleach and peroxides.
How long using distilled water around the eyes does it take to see a difference?

lakeishapug
Registered Member
Username: lakeishapug

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 71.87.124.47
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

put bottled or distilled drinking water in their bowl as opposed to tap water.

bj_hend
Registered Member
Username: bj_hend

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 12.227.129.60
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also give my Bichon purified water and no tear staining. I just read this week that if you give your dog 2T of cranberry juice it does away with tear stain.....

bulldogmom
Registered Member
Username: bulldogmom

Post Number: 460
Posted From: 24.98.225.16
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tried Eye Envy (works okay, but you really have to keep up with it and I don't like the multiple steps of washing and applying powder). Angel Eyes... my dog won't eat the food with Angel Eyes in it. They suggest adding it to their water, but it made the water look like beef broth, gross!

The thing that I found to work best? A tiny bit of rubbing alcohol on a baby wipe, rub for a few seconds. I have before and after pics....

and after:

bulldogmom
Registered Member
Username: bulldogmom

Post Number: 461
Posted From: 24.98.225.16
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My fiance is mad because I showed him the before and after pics and he wants you all to know that the rubbing alcohol was his idea. We're also not sure if it would work/be safe for every dog because her staining isn't close to her eyeballs, it's more in the wrinkles.

groom123
Registered Member
Username: groom123

Post Number: 359
Posted From: 70.144.236.64
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and it would make sense that the drying properties of the alcohol would help reduce the statining since it is caused by wetness that contributes to staining.

jayne
Registered Member

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well because I am a enviromental aware freek, would purified water so the same as distilled water?
I got to thinking about the bottled water,,,,
for tear stains to happen from sink faucet water, it would be the minerals etc in the water that cause it?
If this is so, then we would have to be careful of what kind of bottled water we use because there are those out there that contain minerals.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 5261
Posted From: 66.142.42.82
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jayne,
What food are you feeding? My Chi gets tear staining if she eats food with corn in it.
I have her on a no grain diet and no tear stains.

A dog who needs a dental can also have a lot of staining. Once the dental is done, and any infection cleared up, so do the stains.

Barb

bj_hend
Registered Member
Username: bj_hend

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 12.227.129.60
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was told by my breeder to not give any foods or treats with red dye in them as the dye also can cause tear stain. I don't give him any and at 1 year he has never had tear stain.

wizardofpaws
Registered Member
Username: wizardofpaws

Post Number: 487
Posted From: 209.86.226.15
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tear stains are symptomatic of several various conditions that are very hard to pin down. Infection, poor oral hygene, poor eye structure, poor diet, allergies, hormonal or chemical imbalace, etc.

IME, until you find out what is CAUSING the tear stains and fix the PROBLEM, you can't do much but tread water when it comes to the SYMPTOM (in this case the stains). It may take a little detective work on you and your vet's part but it can be solved eventually.

I would start by feeding a super premium food with no fillers (i.e. corn, wheat, etc), by-products, "mystery meats" (such as non-specific organ meat or meat by-product), dyes, artificial flavorings, and some synthetic preservatives. Old Mother Hubbard foods, the Natura line of products, Canidae, and Timber Wolf are all excellent choices. And there are many others out there as well. Many have success with raw diets. DON'T feed anything you can buy at a grocery store. Also give distilled water. Have your vet check out your dog's dental health and eye health/structure. Sometimes a lid can grow wrong and cause pressure on the eye causing execessive tearing. Tear ducts can also get blocked or inflamed. Also have him check for the presance of allergies in your pet. This can lead to wattery eyes. It may be a lot to take in, but I hope these suggestions help.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be there sitting beside you saying "Man, that was fun!"

jayne
Registered Member

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the info.

I feed both my dogs Orijen which is grain free with no by products and with high protein.

They both like it. I tried the timber wolf, they didn't like it and I didn't like their breathe! Stinky dead fish smell. :-)

The thing is with feeding them both the same source of water and same food is that it is only my oldest that has the tear stains.
Interesting that it would come to light about the eye cyst. My oldest had one a while back. hmmmm. Would it still cause tearing after it was gone?

So what is in tap water that would have you using bottled water instead?

winners3
Registered Member
Username: winners3

Posted From: 207.216.197.218
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i heard about mixing equal amounts of milk of magnesia and peroxide, then add cornstarch to make a paste work in well to stained area, leave on overnight then wash out in the morning, it might be a good idea to use whitening shampoo. make sure u don't get this mix in the eyes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.