Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Where To Clip On Black Nails? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » TRIMMING NAILS » Where To Clip On Black Nails? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

R~ (63.145.134.135 - 63.145.134.135)
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 6:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where do you clip on Black Nails? I have an Afghan Puppy who needs her nails trimmed, but I can't see a 'quick' or even a vein. I hate to have to take her to a groomer or vet every month for trimming... I can't afford it. My Maltese is no problem as I can see the 'pink' and stay away from it.
I have access to a Dremmel tool, but I think the noise and vibration could be distracting to her to say the least, but I am willing to try anything within safe reason.
Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions and help!
R~

Tngroomer (spider-tk073.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.206.208)
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi... many dogs respond really well to the Dremel tool. Since you have a dog with a lot of hair, try this neat trick. Buy some inexpensive knee hi panty hose, and put your dogs foot/leg into it... a good push will pop the nails thru the hose. You can then Dremel away and not worry about catching any long coat in the tool.

If that does not tickle your fancy, try this trick: hold the dogs foot in your hand so the pad is facing up towards you. Look at the underside of the nail. In MOST (not all, sad to say) dogs, you can see where the nail, towards the tip, begins to have a small hollow ridge along the underside. This usually begins about where the nail starts to curve. You are safe clipping off any part of the nail that has that hollow ridge. That said, if your dog has no obvious hollow, try clipping just above, (towards the tip) of where the nail begins to curve. That is usually safe.

The final word on this is that it is NOT the end of the world if you clip too far and make your dog bleed a bit. The bleeding will stop, your dog WILL forgive you, and all will be well. You can apply "Quik Stop" or some other anticoagulant to the bloody part, or cornstarch, soft bath soap or even baby powder in a pinch to staunch the bleeding. "Oopsies" happen, and it will not be the end of the world.

Best wishes, Daryl

Louie (1cust204.tnt2.hackensack.nj.da.uu.net - 63.21.131.204)
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Italian Greyhound with black nails and do just trim off the curve like Tngroomer said...he is 10 and I think I never hit the quick! My other trick is that I have conditioned him to accept a nail file after I cut so I feel "safer" to file away more of the nail and not worry so much about the quick bleeding...I don't think he would tolerate a Dremmel cause of the noise, so I just buy huge cheap packs of files!

R~ (63.238.31.146 - 63.238.31.146)
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh! Tngroomer and Louie you know the neatest tricks! Thank you!!! I never thought about using pantyhose to keep the hair out of the way. Right there is half the battle because trying to 'move' the hair takes way to much time for me, even with my Maltese. By the time I get the hair 'almost' out of the way she would begin to wiggle. Then the procedure begins all over again. And filing afterwards will keep my skin from minor scratches and my pants from snagging, too.

Yes, I can see the 'hollow' of the nail. Our next encounter with the 'Terrible' clippers will be no big ordeal thanks to both of you.

And thanks so much for your quick responses!

mmonroe3 (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 129.44.234.110
Posted on Thursday, November 6, 2003 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a first time dog owner. I have a 3 yr old Rottweiler, who has a great temperment. I am a licensed nail tech and own a cordless dremell drill. She let me trim her nails the first time I tried, with treats and an assistant, but... I still don't understand the whole "quick" thing. Her nails are black and hard to see. My whole house is hardwood floors and I have read in Rottie books that they should walk on thier pads and that you should not hear clicking on the floor. I also would like to keep them short because of my 2 and 5 year old. She often gets them with her nails by accident. I don't want to hurt her but I am really unsure about how short to go. Any suggestions please? Owning a dog is very different from owning a cat and I want to do the best I can for her. Thank you.

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 6589
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Sunday, November 9, 2003 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mmonroe, get a portable light, or get under a lamp, and look at the underside of the nail. You should be able to see if there is a hollow area underneath, right behind the tips.

If you're using a dremel, just keep dremeling until when you put the foot down the nail tip is off the floor; that should be safe.

mmonroe (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 129.44.236.61
Posted on Sunday, November 9, 2003 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rev, Thank you for the answer...I looked at her paws tonight under the light. It seemed that the hollow grove goes all the way up to the tip, yet they still click on the floor and seem quite long to me. She was in a kennel for nine monthe before I adopted her. She is inside all day, but gets nightly walks of about 8 blocks. Could it be they haven't had a chance to grind themselves down on the concrete and just grew that way? I'd really prefer to do them myself especially after the stories I've read about uncaring groomers "quicking" dogs, but I am just still not sure how short I can go. Could the hollow part extend long enough that they will always click on the floor? Or does the noise on the floor indicate that they are too long? I am very grateful for your help/advice.

rev

Post Number: 6597
Posted From: 205.188.209.167
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The hollow part is what can be safely removed, Mmonroe. There is no live tissue in the hollowed-out part. That means they are that much longer than they need to be. :-) Some dog nails are flattened (side to side) for some of their length; there is no quick in the flattened parts either. Normally if a dog's nails are cut as short as they ought to be, they will seldom touch the floor in normal walking/trotting. If you examine the nails closely you may also see where they start to curve more sharply; that's another indicator of where the quick has drawn back ready for clipping.

There aren't too many groomers who just don't care if they cut a quick. But first, there is no way to keep from ever cutting a quick--there are just too many variables, and we do thousands a year. And second, cutting a quick is not a big deal, unless it's cut way back where there's a lot of tissue and blood; that's very painful for the dog and invites infection. (The one caveat here is if your dog is a bleeder, which you would probably know.)

With a dremel used carefully, you aren't likely to quick a nail anyway, though heat buildup in the nail can cause pain.

mmonroe (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 141.149.210.120
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rev, thank you so much for your help. I do appreciate your patience. I had my dog at the vet this weekend for a check up and they said where I have them is fine. I suppose they look long to me, but they are not touching the floor when she stands. I will go alittle at a time each time I do it, and I do move from nail to nail and back to avoid heat. I've had it done to me, so I know how quickly they can get hot. Again, thanks for your help.

rev

Post Number: 6710
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 7:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're a good dogmom, Mmonroe. :-) Nails are probably the most often neglected part of a dog's care, and long nails can cause foot and joint pain, so you're doing your dog a lifelong favor by keeping them trimmed.

Pet Sheltie Owner (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 12.73.121.187
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Shetland Sheepdog has black nails. I use a Miller Forge Pet Nail Clipper with Safety Stop Bar, to ensure that I don't take off too much with one clip. After the first clip, when I look at the cut end of the nail, the inside of the nail is white. After one or two more clips, a dark dot appears in the center of white area. This means that the quick is approaching. My clipping motto is "When you see the dot, it's time to stop".

SuperGirl (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: adsl-19-199-194.bna.bellsouth.net
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 1:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

My 2 dogs have black nails. I've heard lots of things, but I'm not sure about them. I tried clipping one of my dogs and on the last nail I cut the quick. He yelped really loud and I felt so bad! I started crying. I'm afraid to do it again. I don't want to hurt him, and I haven't even tried it on my female! What should I do? Groomers near my house are charging $30! Please help! Thank you.}}}

airedalemom
Registered Member
Username: airedalemom

Post Number: 307
Posted From: zeke.gov.yk.ca
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi supergirl

This web site has pictures and explanations:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_nails.asp

supergirl (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: adsl-1-210-160.bna.bellsouth.net
Posted on Friday, July 1, 2005 - 8:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much!!!!! I will try these techniqes as soon as my new clippers come!!!!!!!!!

Supergirl

citizendame (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: pcp02461109pcs.kenets01.pa.comcast.net
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm shopping for a Dremel drill. I was going to get the multi-purpose Minimite, which is most often recommended to me and is much easier to find (in a hardware store, for instance). Recently, however, I also found Dremel makes one especially for pets. Does anyone have a preference for one over the other, or are they basically the same tool?

Thanks!

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 2807
Posted From: adsl-67-65-58-197.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 7:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wal-Mart carries a nice little rechargeable for under $20. It's the same as the 'pet' one but lots cheaper!

Barb

borzoimom
Registered Member
Username: borzoimom

Post Number: 535
Posted From: 206-230-185-57.sugardog.com
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one of those from walmart and have used it for over a year now, and only needed to change the batteries twice!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.