Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Burs out of a dog? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » MATTS & TANGLES » Burs out of a dog? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lori Swisher (1cust39.tnt1.slinger.wi.da.uu.net - 63.17.251.39)
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do you get burs out of your hunting dogs ears and long hair?

doggygirl (snj-nb51-148.netcom.ca - 142.154.31.52)
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes I use a detangling spray, like Infusium. Spray it in the coat and brush the burrs out. I would think any spray in conditioner would help. Good luck:)

Travelin Mac (0-1pool192-44.nas5.las-vegas1.nv.us.da.qwest.net - 63.156.192.44)
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 3:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Coat Handler's makes a great detangling spray. I saturated the area, then use a regular fork (that's right, the kind you eat with) and work it loose.

Mitzi (nu.mmjgroup.com - 192.34.35.30)
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 4:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pull the hair above the burr apart, parallel to the body. Do not pull the burr away from the body, as this will tighten the tangle. You should be able to slowly work the hair off the burr without trimming.
If the burr is too well established, use thinning shears just above the burr and then brush it away from the body. This will shorten some of the hairs, but should not have a choppy look if you only take one or two strategic cuts.
If you inspect your dog every day, then hopefully you will not have as many you will need to thin out.

Ricki (brantford-ppp201460.sympatico.ca - 64.228.4.189)
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get up to forty burrs off each of my dogs every morning. We go for our walk through the bush and around the pond every day. Then I spend the next 30 minutes getting the burrs out. If I miss any... out come the clippers the next day! I saw on tv a long while ago a story about this lady who makes suits (like wetsuits) for dogs who go through the bush. She had them on her German Shepherds and they did look really stupid. I want to buy those for my dogs. I wish I knew where she was located.

Jpbriggs (sdn-ar-001alhuntp156.dialsprint.net - 158.252.123.92)
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 1:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here you go: K9 Top Coat (website removed by admin)
I use the size 1 for my show yorkie, instead of wrapping sometimes. They are going to work with me to beta test a size 0 prototype sometime soon LOL

Juli

Larodrig (dialup-64.158.64.69.dial1.saltlakecity1.level3.net - 64.158.64.69)
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 7:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Juli: you mean looooong yorkie coat????? I have problems with my male yorkie cause he get his little legs wet so in the winter I don't let him out and he hates it. Any problems with matting?

Jpbriggs (user-2injp8t.dialup.mindspring.com - 165.121.229.29)
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 7:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I use the K9 Top Coat, I do not have a problem with matting as long as I take it off at least once a day and do a good comb out. However, with Size 1 being the smallest size at present, it doesn't fit as perfectly as I would like it to on my show boys, and it gets soiled underneath. I have to keep two on hand because when I hand wash one, it takes it a while to dry.

Have you tried snow boots on your guy? I have several pair and we lived in northern Virginia until May-- received snow a few times a year, and NO ONE went out without the boots.

Juli

Larodrig (dialup-64.157.22.154.dial1.saltlakecity1.level3.net - 64.157.22.154)
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 6:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Juli, I will measure my guy today and order the wetsuite asap. Sounds good to me. I will also try boots, I used to live in South America, the tropic, no snow! So I have a lot to learn yet. Something else I was going to ask you. What kind of oil de you use on your show dogs? I keep him in oil and wrapped.

Ricki (brantford-ppp201304.sympatico.ca - 64.228.4.33)
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 2:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Juli,
Thank you. That is the one I've been looking for. Thanks again.

Rev (152.163.207.196)
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 8:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a cool tip on burrs from a customer. Crush them with pliers and they'll be easier to get out. It works!

jodycurrin (205.188.199.157)
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 6:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a great idea it's in the old mind now thanks..

L.C. Erickson (216.170.170.135)
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 7:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For burrs, get out that handy can of Kool Lube! Put the nozzle DIRECTLY on the burr(s), and saturate it. It will fall apart and brush/comb out easily.

Becky (209.240.222.32)
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 8:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

L.C.,

KOOL!!!!!!

Rev (152.163.206.199)
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 8:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kool Lube fumes are toxic; I won't use it in my shop. Anyone tried Pam for this?

Groomnpoodles (205.188.196.37)
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 9:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A great product for removing burrs, etc from coats is COWBOY MAGIC DETANGLER!! I started out using it on my horse-- she got into a MESS of burrs somehow and her tail was one long mass of burrs. Worked the Cowboy Magic in and they slid right out! So I tried it on dogs!! Also, cornstarch will work, as it's a natural silicone. Altho it's a bit messy, it does a great job! I put it in a large sugar shaker and sprinkle it in the coat! It works great on Samoyeds, Pyranees, etc, for brushing out coats, too! AND IT'S INEXPENSIVE!!!!!!

sue (162.39.36.123)
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 6:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look at the local farm supply store for a product called "Miracle Groom" It works great on burrs and tangles. My rough coated JRT once escaped and rolled in an abandoned oil well, horse manure and burrs all in one trip and this stuff not only got out the burrs it got her clean and shiny again.

Denise O'Connell (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 4.229.180.76
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 7:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just acquired a stray Chow Chow who is severely matted on his entire body, down to the skin. Is shaving him recommended?

loebee
Registered Member
Username: loebee

Post Number: 119
Posted From: 205.188.117.18
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 9:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, Denise it is required that you just shave him and start fresh. Matts pull at the skin and can hurt them and even retard the way that they move about. Be sure to check his nails also. If he is a stray, I can almost bet that his nails need a good trimming also. Now the difficult thing is to find a groomer that will take a stray, severly matted Chow. Some don't even take them. One more thing, after you get him shaved, you should invest in a good slicker brush and comb. And a good brushing every couple days will do him wonders and he will be kept in good shape and your home won't have the dust bunnie effect. Your groomer can show you how to brush him and what brushes and combs are good for this. Good luck and BLESS YOU FOR TAKING HIM IN. WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU IN THE WORLD.

Best wishes, Lori at Muddy Paws Grooming Salon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.