Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

How to trim a snorkie Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » GROOMING SPECIFIC BREEDS » Schnauzers, Terriers » How to trim a snorkie « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

KellyA
Registered Member
Posted From: 12.44.13.18
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 4 mo. old snorkie, and her hair is getting so long! I don't want to cut it too short, but I have no idea what to tell the groomers. I just want her to be able to see and have her body hair shorter because it's very unruly and overall hard to keep clean and manage day-to-day. I'd love to groom her myself, but should I have a professional do it first? I've never groomed a dog before; my dogs have all been beagles who didn't need their hair trimmed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

fannemoran
Registered Member
Username: fannemoran

Post Number: 274
Posted From: 64.252.182.43
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a picture of your puppy. It would help us a lot to see what she looks like and what kind of hair she has. More schnauzer or more yorkie?

dawg
Registered Member
Username: dawg

Post Number: 1745
Posted From: 142.16.22.18
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and how tiny? some of these guys can be particularly delicate. i'd hate for you to unintentionally nick your new pup.

i'd try and find a groomer in your area that'd be willing to work with you so you can learn how to do the basics properly. that way, you can maintain your new pup for most of the time and just go in occasionally for touch-ups - as long as you are able to competently maintain the coat between touch-ups!! this is where instruction from a good groomer is critical.

it's important for the first few grooming experiences, especially, to have pleasant associations for your pup. a groomer that's willing to work with you will provide you with a quiet appointment time slot with minimal distractions and noise.

they should be soft and calm but firm with your dog. coddling your pup will only reinforce undesired and insecure behavior, which can lead to fear biting and later on down the road vet-assisted grooming under sedation = very expensive and time consuming.

and keep in mind that the first few groomings are more about acclimating your new pup to the process and less about presenting a pristine picture. that will come as your dog learns grooming can be fun and relaxing!

maintaining your pup between groomings not only keeps your dog physically healthier, but it provides you two with fabulous bonding time! i highly recommend it to all dog owners!

you have two breeds represented in your pup that require a lifetime of grooming. setting him/her up early for years of successful and stress-free grooming is the biggest favor you can do for your dog!

sounds like you're on the right track! good luck!

KellyA
Registered Member
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the best picture I have of her. She's not one to sit still long enough to have her picture taken, even using the "in-motion" feature on my digital camera!! Coco the snorkie

Thank you so much for all the postings. I really appreciate it. One more question in addition to the previous... how much should I expect to pay for grooming? Petsmart quoted me at $30-$38, and that seemed a little high to me.

dawg
Registered Member
Username: dawg

Post Number: 1748
Posted From: 142.16.22.18
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

gorgeous girl!

pricing varies by region, but i wouldn't groom a dog of this type and size for less than $40 and a puppy would cost more.

puppies take more time, patience and care. they respond better if the shop is quiet and empty (more effort to organise appointments accordingly). they're wiggly and don't understand the importance of standing still and being calm. we use very sharp and potentially dangerous tools.

i'd say petsmart wasn't far off on their pricing, but you may want to look for a more personalized, quiet shop. corporate stores can be one hectic environment!!

houndlady
Registered Member
Username: houndlady

Post Number: 589
Posted From: 68.41.246.248
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The price range sounds ok for my area........

If you tell us where you are (state and if possible city too) we can maybe help you find a good groomer and the typical price range for your area.
I agree with dawg about trying to stay away from petsmart, they often aren't the best choice.

sandy
Registered Member
Username: sandy

Post Number: 852
Posted From: 75.6.212.127
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would charge 35.50 (base price, no special handling or anything) for that groom- I'm in Houston. I think that's pretty much the going rate in this area, or close to it, anyway.

thedotteddog
Registered Member
Username: thedotteddog

Post Number: 2849
Posted From: 67.121.234.3
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All my groom prices start at 40 for any small dog needed a clip. This dog would look darling in a schnauzer clip. She really has the markings for it. The hair looks like it too. The ears of course will be up but lots of the ones I do have ears like that and are purebred.
Remember that a grooming will include a bath, condition, clip of your choice or as close as possible to it depending on the behavior of the dog and the hair it has. Also you should get nail trimming and ear cleaning with your groom for no more money, and cologne if you prefer and a bandana or bow on collar.
Some petsomethings charge more for some of these, not all.
you might ask what is included and what is extra in their price.
I agree a private shop will be nicer for a new puppy groom, maybe a bit less hectic. Still it all depends on the shop.
Your baby is so cute!

thedotteddog
Registered Member
Username: thedotteddog

Post Number: 2850
Posted From: 67.121.234.3
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any small dog *needing* a clip. Bath and tidy is less.

ilovemypitbull
Registered Member
Username: ilovemypitbull

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 64.12.116.196
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 2:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cute dog, looks like a yorkie in a schnauzer costume

KellyA
Registered Member
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all of the help! My permanent residence is near Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, but I have an apartment during the week where I work, in Winchester, VA... so either location works for me.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.