Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Shih Tzu Teddy Bear cut Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS Photo Album » Other Photos » Shih Tzu Teddy Bear cut « Previous Next »

mamabear53 (mamabear53)
Registered Board member
Username: mamabear53

Post Number: 3
Posted From: s01060007e9affd12.nb.shawcable.net
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can someone show pics of a shih tzu teddy bear cut. Is it similar to a lamb cut? I would sure appreciate seeing one on file!
k9kosmo (k9kosmo)
Registered Board member
Username: k9kosmo

Post Number: 49
Posted From: southcity-24.107.191.81.charter-stl.com
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most Shih Tzus get this cut if they want them to be fluffy. I'd call a lamb cut similar only much shorter on the body.
Here's an example...

I'd call this a Lamb cut...
sunshinee (sunshinee)
Registered Board member
Username: sunshinee

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 70.118.198.219
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a Before and After of Maxwell my shih tzu.. the before is the day I adopted him and the after is the next day when I had given him a Teddy cut..

[IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/nvdaeghi/Picture452.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/nvdaeghi/Picture467.jpg[/IMG]
dogdayz (dogdayz)
Registered Board member
Username: dogdayz

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 69.29.148.98
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

these two are first timers at my shop and OMG the female was such a pain, not sure i want them to come back
k9kosmo (k9kosmo)
Registered Board member

Post Number: 138
Posted From: 71.10.168.233
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to groom two that way...easy to care for, but sometimes difficult to shave those puggy faces.

Good job!
Here's my ALL TIME cutest Shih Tzu...(this opinion may change next month when another cutie comes in...I swear I groom at least 8 of these a week!)...her name is Sarah.

dogdayz (dogdayz)
Registered Board member

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

she is precious...i dont have a picture of my all time cutest dog,shes a brussells puppy and she is so dang cute i wanna eat her up, i am going to get a picture next time she comes in, i dont do the standard cut on her,mom likes the "messy look" and i think thats what makes her so cute :-)i guess my cutest shihtzu would be............Wolf, he came in this past saturday and owner wanted a mowhawk, i havent got the picture devolped yet but he is now the coolest dog in town,lol
babyblues (babyblues)
Registered Board member
Username: babyblues

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 70.82.56.251
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one favorite shih tzu too!

I'm not a shih tzu maniac, but this one...

What a cuttie face !

cute shih tzu
dogdayz (dogdayz)
Registered Board member

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the more i look at both of your groomings i wonder do u use clippers or stripping knives? or do u have clipper vacs. i just wonder how you get them so smooth and flawless...i envy your work really
k9kosmo (k9kosmo)
Registered Board member

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks!
I use thinning shears on the faces to finish them, but normally on the the puppycuts I just use a long blade (B comb) and then scissor the legs. The thinners really help on the faces.
Babyblues, I LOVE that little sweetie! Nice job!

Dogdayz, I love the color on that little guy...nice job on the face!
babyblues (babyblues)
Registered Board member

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Same for me!
I think it was the A comb and I sculpt the legs with a skip 7 and finish with scissors. Like k9kosmo, I always use thinning shears on the face.
dogdayz (dogdayz)
Registered Board member

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

even though i have been grooming 8 years i must admit i have always just used thinning shears for getting through matts,was never really shown how to use them,any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks girls :-)
k9kosmo (k9kosmo)
Registered Board member

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not a problem...many people are that way.

If you go to a dog show and see scissored Wheatons, Spaniels,Setters, Schn., Bouviers etc...(dogs w/o the poodle hair) they are "scissored" w/ thinning shears most of the time.

First you will need to buy a GOOD pair of thinners. These will look like teeth on one side and a blade on the other. The ones for dematting have teeth on both sides.
The little notch at the tops of the teeth will tell you how much will be thinned off.
Like this...
http://www.iconbc.com/iconproducts/via/images/TexturizingBlade.jpg

Here are some pics of some of them...
http://www.venusworldwide.com/images/thinning%20scissors%208.jpg%20s.jpg

Expect to pay at least 80.00. Maybe others have bought some cheaper that work, but not me.

You are going to scissor down on the coat on the top of the hair ...like after you shave a cocker's back, you can scissor down on the line where the skirt meets the shaved part to blend this in better. Just "snip, snip" and then brush it down. Do this a little bit all along the line.

Practise using them on top of shih tzu legs that you've already scissored. This way it'll blend in your scissor lines if there are any.
Always scissor DOWN along the growth of the coat til you get the hang of it.
If you scissor up or under you will get a different effect.

If you have a good pair, they are just as sharp as scissors but a lot more forgiving. Be careful not to get carried away and cut a dog.

I also ONLY use thinners in front of eyes like Shih Tzu etc...
They are so great for blending in cheek lines after scissoring a full face on a Westie, Yorkie etc...

You'll find a lot of uses but it will take LOTS AND LOTS of practise. Maybe go to a dog show and make friends w/ a spaniel person and maybe they'll at least show you techniques. Do this after they've already gone into the ring and hopefully did well.

Good luck!
Ask more questions if you got any.
dogdayz (dogdayz)
Registered Board member

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

K9 i do have a pair of thinners with one side teeth and other side blade but they were cheapies, thank you for the great instructions i wil definitly look into a better pair :-)
babyblues (babyblues)
Registered Board member

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And remember it's worth the investment!

Great instructions k9kosmo ! good

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2005 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.