Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

"Camper Cut" on a sheltie Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS Photo Album » Before and Afters » NORTHERN & OTHER DOUBLE COATED BREEDS » "Camper Cut" on a sheltie « Previous Next »

thistle
Registered Board member
Username: thistle

Post Number: 1029
Posted From: 12.155.179.24
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is Maddie, a sheltie that I have not seen since December who came in today for her "camper cut". Her Mom takes her camping and through brush a lot so she needs something manageable so Maddie doesn't turn into a mobile garden of weeds. They like me to leave as much of her ruff as possible. She is clipped with a #A snap-on comb.
Maddie b4
Maddie after
Maddie side2
countrypet
Registered Board member
Username: countrypet

Post Number: 199
Posted From: 24.93.9.31
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent job, thistle. It's always cool to see the colors come out on them when they get a haircut.

sue
boubou (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.202.14.81
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once again, I`m in awe - gorgeous job, Thistle. Did you have to do alot of scissoring after passing your clip-on, cuz it looks awful smooth and velvety!! Also, I was wondering if you use the clipper vac -I`ve heard its easier to pass the clip-ons with these type of coats when used with the clipper vac systems.
thistle
Registered Board member

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish I had a clipper vac! There was a moderate amount of scissoring...not too bad though, I scissored the front legs, tidied up the back, around the ruff, and just a bit on the body to remove some lines. Oh, and the tail was scissored so it doesn't drag the ground.
I have no problem getting through this type of coat with a snap-on...the key is to get that undercoat out. I first chunk out the bulk of it, then bathe(one of my new trainees bathed her and did a great job!) and remove undercoat...I also use an Andis super2 speed on high speed with a 40 blade under the comb. I think that really helps plow through dense coats.
doggygirl
Registered Board member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 491
Posted From: 142.154.31.28
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an overweight sheltie with oodles of hair that may look good with this. I have been tempted as I use the comb on the chest and butt. Thanks for posting the picture. Maybe I will try it. I'm just worried as the dog is obese and might not look right.
diamondog
Registered Board member
Username: diamondog

Post Number: 958
Posted From: 206.231.186.94
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is gorgeous Thistle! Are you coming out here this summer? I'd love to have you show me how you shorten and blend, you are a master! I'm gonna try this on little Dorie if her "mom" will let me, I'll practice on her and discount her monthly groom a little til I get it right. Thanks again for posting your pics.
thedoghouse
Registered Board member
Username: thedoghouse

Post Number: 257
Posted From: 63.189.169.166
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look's Great!
thistle
Registered Board member

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know if I can make it or not. It would be a very difficult task for me. I am hoping that my two trainees are coming along well enough for me to take a full week off. That would give me a whole 9 days off. Plenty of time to drive myself and a weirdo JRT over there and back. I checked with Yahoo maps and from where I am, it's a 20 hour drive. Of course, I'd have to rent a car, my own would never make it....I wonder how much campers are to rent?
I am trying to convince myself that this is do-able, but I can't really get myself excited enough to think that it's a given.
dramadog
Registered Board member
Username: dramadog

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 207.65.214.51
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow, absolutely amazing, drop dead gorgeous...maybe, just maybe one day I , I might be good enough to grovel at your feet?

Just beautiful...love the spots too
diamondog
Registered Board member

Post Number: 962
Posted From: 206.231.186.72
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thistle, I saw Dorie's mom at the grocery tonight and told her about your "camper cut" and she's game. Doing her next week, now what size comb did you use and (now I'm really gonna show my ignorance) do you use the comb with or against the hair? Dorie is a tiny shelty but got a nice plush coat and her head and rough is about the same profile as this dog. She's a tri and I really don't know what her tuckup is gonna look like but I'll never know if I don't try and I want to someday be in the "grovel at your feet" group too! LOL!
Try to get excited about the Ride! We won't have as much fun without'cha. Sunny looks VERY responsible!
thistle
Registered Board member

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On this particular sheltie, I used a Laube comb sized "A" against the lay of the hair.

As for the Ride, it's not Sunny I'm worried about. The shop is open 7 days a week...I know she can take care of herself and the shop, but it's her days off, Tues, Wed that have me worried.
If you had asked me if I was coming last week, I would've said an absolute "no" because there would be no one to cover for me. But now I have two very promising trainees, so maybe...just maybe...
another stumbling block is going to be the financial end of it. I've been looking at the costs and it may be beyond my means. I'm supporting myself here in a very high income area and my budget is very limited.
So, I am puttin good thoughts towards this happening, and I'm going to try to squirrell every spare penny away.
diamondog
Registered Board member

Post Number: 963
Posted From: 206.231.186.81
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Here's to you stuffing those little cheek pouches and hidey holes FULL to the brim! I just saw something on TV Orbitz has a fare search engine where you tell them where & when and they notify you of the lowest fare. I really think if you could get one for 250ish that would be the cheapest way and girl if you get here, we'll get you a place to sleep, -...if you're not too picky, LOL!
ladyv
Registered Board member
Username: ladyv

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 65.80.134.237
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She called it a "camper Cut" but do you call this? I like it! I'm gonna start doing them!
owhl
Registered Board member
Username: owhl

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 67.243.190.117
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how did you do the legs...especially the front...they look soooo nice?

thistle
Registered Board member

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 5:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Legs are just scissored to shorten a bit and tidied up.
ladyv
Registered Board member
Username: ladyv

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 66.20.81.30
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hye guys!!!! :::waving hands wildly in the air::: over here!!

What do you call that cut? I know your client called it a "Camper Cut" but what do you call it?
rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 5867
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me? I call it a modified lion cut or a stylized lion cut. Have used it on shelties and poms for years, with variations.
thistle
Registered Board member

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no standard name for this trim...I just simply call it a camper cut when I attatch a name to it at all. I usually just refer to it as a snap-on trim, leave the ruff.
dogdayz (dogdayz)
Registered Board member
Username: dogdayz

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 207.119.82.92
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow i did not know it until i saw this but it looks like i did a "camper cut" and didnt know it, LOL all i did was skim the chest and hocks with a 10,wish i would have taken a before picture, she was pretty shaggy

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2005 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.