Forums General Business Issues Employers/Employees
  • Topic: Unrealistic Expectations for Bather?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 21, 2016 7:59 PM CST
    • Unrealistic Expectations for Bather?

Hi all! I need some feedback/a reality check on realistic bather responsibilities and expectations. My bather works 3 hours in the morning and bathes 5 dogs (occasionally 6) during that time frame. The bather does not do nails (he's squeamish about it) but does clean the ears on several of the dogs (I do the rest plus nails). We do many lhasas and shihtzu's and I keep the big and hairy dogs down to usually only one a day. My bather is good about getting all the dogs bathed but most of the time can only dry several before his shift is over. We've struggled over the definition of "fluff dried." I consider fluff dried to mean the dog is dried to the bone and all mats completely removed. My bather continues to pronounce dogs "done" when the animal is still damp behind the ears and has mats in the armpits, ears or tail. I've had discussions with him and have written up a checklist. He's been working for me for 5 months. He's very reliable about showing up and he's great with the dogs (gentle handling and he's good about keeping them safe). He gets a little defensive when I correct him. Am I asking for too much? Should I chill out?

• November 21, 2016 10:14 PM CST

I don't think you're asking too much. He works for you, he should do the job as you require, plain and simple. I have found that it is hard for new bathers to really understand totally dry. If it doesn't mess up your day too much, can you just hand him back the dog for drying while you work on another?

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• November 21, 2016 10:50 PM CST

Thanks for your reply, Barb. Your idea is a good one - I think just handing back the dog to be dried properly is probably the best way to handle it. No fuss (or nagging) -- just please get Fido completely dry. And do this as often as needed until the dogs are done the right way.

• November 22, 2016 11:07 PM CST

I agree mostly with Barb however since he is only there for a specific amount of time you probably need to figure how he should spend that time to best assist you. Should he get only a couple of dogs completely dry or try to get more dogs mostly dry where you only spend few minutes touching up?  As to mats, personally I feel the ones in difficult or sensitive areas should only be done by the groomer.  It is quite easy to injure a dog removing mats in pits, behind ears, tail, etc. I would rather do it myself & know it was done correctly & safely for the dog & their owner.  Maybe over time as he gains more confidence & speed, then add to his duties.

• November 30, 2016 8:32 PM CST

Thanks for the feedback, Joanplus2dogs! I know what you mean about mats in sensitive areas. When I went to grooming school back in the 1970's the school gave us "mat splitters" -- basically a weapon with a razor blade, LOL. I cut myself once and just keeled over (fainting). Ah, those were the days!!!!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel