Forums General Grooming Techniques Difficult Pets
  • Topic: Puppies

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 20, 2017 6:58 AM CST
    • Puppies

The last few months I have been getting in a lot of puppies with some temperament issues. 

One was 10 months old, it looked like he had been shaved about 3 months prior. The previous groomer said he would need sedated for future groomings. Well I'm not going to sedate a puppy if there is any way around it. He got a bath and a few snips below his eyes and I sent him home with a plan to teach him that grooming wasn't a horrible scary thing.  The plan included having him done every 2 weeks, daily brushing and combing at home and some training tips.   He came in two weeks later but was pretty tangled. They are not brushing and combing at home. I sent another note (at the clinic dogs are often dropped off and picked up before I get there and after I leave) stressing the importance of the brushing at home. We will see how that works out.

Last week was a 5 month old puppy that was terrified of everything. I could see it in his eyes and had the owner hand him to me. I got him in my arms just fine but when I reached over to touch him he almost got me. I had no choice but to muzzle him, which I hated to do because it did not go easily.  We did a bath and toenails, then into a kennel.  Every few minutes I went in and talked to him. After a couple hours the stress drooling stopped and he allowed me to slowly pet him on his chest.  I asked to see him once a week.

It breaks my heart to see so many puppies that are so under socialized and/or have such shady temperaments.  If the owners keep up with the maintenance plan, I find most can be turned around to at least tolerate me and the grooming. The 10 month old besides the tangling did really well. I was able to do a decent job on his face, doing his feet wasn't horrible, and we ended the groom in a positive way.

What tricks have you found to get through to the owners and the puppies ?

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• February 20, 2017 3:16 PM CST
    • Puppies

it's the "getting through to them" that's my challenge.  I think I spend alot of time educating new pup owners.  It seems, that they either get it, or they don't.  

When they "get it", I continue to guide, encourage & educate.  The one's that "don't get it" end up paying more for grooming (another effort at helping them to "get it"), or sadly, I give up & say good bye.

• February 21, 2017 6:14 AM CST
    • Puppies

I do love it when they 'get it'.  I work at the clinic, so it's easy for me to give them a couple of options. Either they work with me and their puppy to teach them that grooming is not a scary awful experience, or the dog ends up with a sedate and shave twice a year for the rest of their lives.  Sometimes that works, sometimes not. 

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel