Forums General General Groomers Chat
  • Topic: Force free grooming info?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 11, 2017 3:08 PM CST
    • Force free grooming info?

Hi, I have been grooming for 52 years and have always disliked force dryers since the day they came out. They are great for the clip but not so great for the dog. I reluctently use them for dogs that don't seem to be scared but use cage dryers (with timers) for the rest. And I really hate the noise. I have been hearing lately about Force Free Grooming and wonder if there are some new techniques I should know about. Andone have information about this? Thanks!

• March 11, 2017 3:15 PM CST

Introduced and used properly, I don't think they detrimental to the dogs. I have seen people hold them way far away from the dog so it's like the poor thing is in a wind tunnel or not paying attention to where it's blowing on their face and ears. I always keep it close to the skin to control where the air is flowing. I never blast them in the face either. Again I keep it close to the skin, keeping the air flow away from the eyes and nose and I always hold the ears closed.

When I hear force free grooming, I think of it in the ways of handling the dog, not the dryer. That doesn't mean it's not about dryers. I just never looked at it that way. :)

There are dryers on the market that are adjustable speed with a dial. You can keep it down low and with no adaptor on the hose for a very light flow of air, or turn it up and put an end on for more power.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• March 11, 2017 3:30 PM CST

I wasn't debating at all, nor was I trying to change your opinion.  You asked if there were new techniques and I suggested the adjustable dryers because it can be used with a very gentle flow.  I also did say that I had not heard the term force free being used in relation to drying, but only to handling.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• March 11, 2017 3:35 PM CST

Sorry Barb,

For some reason I only saw the first half of your reply.

I do have a dryer that you can dial the force of the air but still it is very loud. I have also tried putting it in an insulated box but still they are pretty loud.

Funny, I never thought about "force free" as being about forcing a dog to do something!:  ) Maybe that's what I was reading! Maybe I will have to start this revolution myself!  :  )

Thanks!

• March 11, 2017 4:10 PM CST

Yes, the dryers are definitely loud. I have ear plugs, though I will admit I more often forget to use them then actually use them. I do use the Happy Hoodie on many of the dogs that seem to be a little bothered by the noise.

I hadn't thought about force free being force dryer. lol  I could have been thinking wrong too. :)

Barb

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel