Forums General Product Discussions/Comparisons Misc Products
  • Topic: Thinning shears

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 20, 2017 6:51 PM CDT
    • Thinning shears

I recently tried a friend/fellow groomers Kurod 3 thinners and couldn't believe how nice they were... I didn't want to spend almost $300 for a pair of thinners, but, am having a hard time finding anything else that smooth, that size, that I like as much.  I prefer thinners that are 7" or less, and that are very smooth and very sharp.  Any suggestions are welcome! 

Laura

• July 20, 2017 10:18 PM CDT
    • Thinning shears

I've not used them so I can't compare, but I will say I have been shocked with how much I like Aussie Dog shears. They are at every grooming show and they are cheap.  They have many different styles and designs. They hold an edge for a long time and for me, feel very balanced and nicely weighted. I just knew a shear at that price would be crappy, but I knew several groomers that loved them so I gave them a try. I'm glad I did!

We are all so different in exactly how we hold our shears, where we put the pressure.  If you can get to a show, you'll have hundreds to try out to see which ones fit your hand and budget. :)

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• July 21, 2017 7:15 AM CDT
    • Thinning shears

thanks Barb- is that the brand of shears?   I'll look them up, however, I think I'm going to keep these Kurods because they are like butter and have such superior cutting ability- precise, etc- so far, I just haven't found a pair that compares.  

Laura 

• July 21, 2017 9:02 AM CDT
    • Thinning shears

I agree with Barb that Aussie Dog shears are the best for the money. Initially, they only offered very short thinners, but then they came out with some longer ones, which I absolutely love. I also have some "4420" brand thinners that I got at a pet show and they're really great too, although a bit more expensive than Aussie shears. I once spent a lot of money on some Geib convex curved shears and I loved them, but they were so sensitive they constantly needed sharpening, so they weren't worth it. Thus, I just don't buy expensive shears anymore when there's less expensive shears that do a great job and hold up better.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel