PET GROOMING SHOP ASSISTANT
The Assistant is located in the client and pet relations department and is an important part of the salon team. The Assistant works with the support of the staff to provide professional pet care to the public. This position reports directly to the manager (or owner/operator if no manager).
- Have good verbal and written communication skills with competent arithmetic ability.
- Have good public and personal relations skills.
- Have good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Cashier experience is a plus.
- Able to do multiple ongoing tasks simultaneously.
- Socially oriented and enjoy working with people, along with a compassion for animals.
- Previous experience preferred, and if no previous experience, capable of completing Assistant training.
- Have good personal hygiene and appropriate dress.
- Pleasant personality capable of working in a team oriented environment.
- Respect and appreciation for pets and their owners.
- Have no medical or physical conditions that would prevent the successful completion of position duties.
The Assistant is expected to learn an extensive set of client relationís procedures. They consist of, but are not limited to incoming client services, outgoing client services, telephone and appointment setting, cash register duties, bank deposits, groomer supply purchases, public relations duties. Additional duties may consist of assisting groomers in handling pets, cage cleaning, and dog walking, sweeping, laundry, bathing and brushing.
Incoming Client Services
- Greeting the clients as they enter the salon.
- Completing information in regards to grooming instructions including but not limited to that days contact phone number for groomer, any shampoo instructions, skin allergies, health alert information, flea control, and behavior information on the client file card.
- Maintaining the daily grooming log sheet.
- Receiving pets consists of examining the coat for mats, skin conditions, appropriateness of request
- Verify current vaccination records. All clients must supply vaccine proof or we must be able to verify with their local veterinarian.
- Completing cage cards, assigning on cage card the pet information, groomers initials, shampoo information and any special needs directions.
- Securing leashes. We return owners leash and collar upon entry to avoid loss, and use our leashes.
- Inform client of pick up times and any change in fees.
- Explain any salon services or procedures and grooming styles.
- Place pet in cage with their cage information card.
- Printing and cutting blank cage cards and client file cards.
Outgoing Client Services
- Monitor that pets will be ready to be picked up 45 minutes prior to time that client will pick up. Notify client if necessary of any delays.
- Make sure service order is properly completed if needed.
- Check client file card and groomer report information is completed and accurate.
- Collect service fees and any sales revenue (if any).
- Return pets, along with any belongings.
- Ask if client would like to schedule the next appointment.
- Complete any additional information on daily groomer log sheet.
- Answer the telephone, and set appointments.
- Make courtesy appointment reminder calls.
- Verify by telephone to veterinarians any vaccination update for the following days clients.
- Make any follow up telephone calls as needed.
Cash Register duties
- In addition to collecting receipts and depositing them in the cash register, the Assistant/Receptionist keeps payment records on the daily log and payment register.
- At the end of day, totaling daily receipts.
- Filing client file cards.
- Prepare daily deposit
- Make daily deposits.
Public Relations duties
By informing clients of all salon services, maintaining a professional and personable attitude, providing competent services, and making each client feel they and their pet are valued and important, the Assistant/receptionist is a key figure in the success of the salon. Good customer service is necessary.
Additional Salon Duties
The Assistant will be assigned additional duties as required including but not limited to: purchasing store supplies needed for the shop, keeping the retail area clean and presentable, monitoring retail inventory. In addition, helping groomers control pets with behavior problems, walking dogs, cutting bandana fabric, salon clean up, cage cleaning, laundry, bathing and fluff drying animals as necessary, and assisting in the bathing and brush out areas.